Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Okay yeah that was pretty non sequitur I just looked for your post after you pointed out that you had linked to that article and it had a laugh reaction which happens to me even on the most mundane non-controversial posts
Well, I agree sometimes it's just weird why some serious posts get laugh reactions, but I'd rather see those than the angry ones.

• Angry
Reactions: Hey Now and collin_

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2018
Well, I agree sometimes it's just weird why some serious posts get laugh reactions, but I'd rather see those than the angry ones.
I’m the opposite to me the angry ones are funny but the laugh ones are confusing and sardonic

Reactions: 0128672

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
Yeah idk for sure if they let you do that but based on OP’s support call it looks like they don’t and that’s really weird. Wouldn’t benefit Apple in any way (that I can think of) just an inconvenience for the customer
In the Music App, if you click on 'Account' in the Menubar, then click 'View My Account' you'll see this option along with 'Deauthorise All'. I checked and the option is still there in Monterey:

Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 7.23.21 pm.png

• Love
Reactions: collin_

Graybeard7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
In the Music App, if you click on 'Account' in the Menubar, then click 'View My Account' you'll see this option along with 'Deauthorise All'. I checked and the option is still there in Monterey:

View attachment 1912643
Yes it’s there. However you are only allowed to use that once a year. I used it in July. Therefore I’m locked out of that option until July 2022. That’s where the problem lies.

Graybeard7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
This story has a happy ending. Apple removed the old computers from my account. Hats off to the two customer service reps who escalated the issue higher to rectify the problem. Great customer service is shown when things go sideways.

Reactions: collin_

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Apple is so crazy to retain this stupid authorization de authorization stuff coming straight from 2003. Luckily I could remove some of the old devices from another computer but still not all of them. This has to die.

Reactions: Graybeard7

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Apple is so crazy to retain this stupid authorization de authorization stuff coming straight from 2003. Luckily I could remove some of the old devices from another computer but still not all of them. This has to die.
So much for “the computer is no longer the digital hub, the cloud will take over” from 2011. Somehow Apple still thinks that your Mac syncs everything to every of your mobile devices therefore there must be a limit to authorised computers ??‍♂️

AppleFanBoy888

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
This story has a happy ending. Apple removed the old computers from my account. Hats off to the two customer service reps who escalated the issue higher to rectify the problem. Great customer service is shown when things go sideways.
That's great! I was questioning if they changed their protocol since I've contacted Apple support a couple of times for deauthorization and had no issues with them doing it.
So much for “the computer is no longer the digital hub, the cloud will take over” from 2011. Somehow Apple still thinks that your Mac syncs everything to every of your mobile devices therefore there must be a limit to authorised computers ??‍♂️
I totally agree with you. I remember the first time I asked for deauthorization was in 2009. ? Can't believe it is still an issue. This needs to die or at least let us deauthorize a computer remotely as iCloud does for Activation Lock

And if you guys are wondering why I do so many deauthorizations is that I have computers come and go often (especially before family accounts became a thing) so this issue comes up more than the average joe. I wonder if Apple keeps count. Haha

Last edited:
Reactions: haruhiko

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
That's great! I was questioning if they changed their protocol since I've contacted Apple support a couple of times for deauthorization and had no issues with them doing it.

I totally agree with you. I remember the first time I asked for deauthorization was in 2009. ? Can't believe it is still an issue. This needs to die or at least let us deauthorize a computer remotely as iCloud does for Activation Lock

And if you guys are wondering why I do so many deauthorizations is that I have computers come and go often so this issue comes up more than the average joe. I wonder if Apple keeps count. Haha
They somehow increased the Authorized devices limit to about 9 from 5 before? Therefore I didn’t encounter this problem for several years until this year when I upgraded to the new MBP. I was shocked that I still needed to tackle this in 2021!!!

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Glad they got it fixed for you. I've never understood their moronic "You can only have 5 devices allowed to play the content you are paying for." Its such an archaic form of control for Apple.

Graybeard7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
Pure speculation on my part. I wonder if it's tied to licensing arrangements for music and TV content. I see that as a possibility. Regardless, the ability for the end user to manage authorized limited use is common now. Adobe Creative Suite is a great example of this. The current process is way behind the times.

raytsh

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
And make sure they are charged enough for them to check that they turn on and that the screens are not damaged.

When I did my trade-ins for my purchase, the guy was very appreciative that all devices were removed from my Apple account and that the batteries were charged enough to do the testing. I did 13 devices and he completed them in about 20 minutes.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Sharing this in the hopes of keeping someone else from going through this nightmare. I traded in a MacBook Pro at the Apple Store for the 14". I then realized I preferred the 16", later realizing I needed a higher specced 16". The 3 computers were wiped by Apple employees at the Apple Store and are now owned by Apple. Unfortunately the did not deauthorize the computers in the Music app account settings prior. You are only allowed 5 computers to be associated with your Apple ID for purchased content use. I also have an iMac. I cannot "deauthorize all" until July of 2022. Apple support could not fix, and they said they will escalate and get back to me in 48 hrs. I am locked out of 3 of my 5 spots for sharing purchases for 8 months. My online ordered MacBook Pro will take up my last slot. I can't get another Apple computer to have access to my purchases for 7 months. Kinda crazy, especially since Apple employees wiped the Macs. Don't forget to deauthorize!!!
I've had this issue before, Apple Support will fix it - they can "deauthorise all" devices if you're unable-to due to the date restriction.

I remember having to do this years ago and it was very quick & easy with support via chat, but this time they had to do it on the phone with a second line team.

Its a bit annoying you have to do this manually as it is pretty easy to forget to do it IMO.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I had an M1 Mac running Monterey that I erased to give to my mother. The authorization definitely didn't disappear.

I think Apple's delusional when they say you can skip deauthorization...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.