Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
What is AutoProtect? It is an awesome (and free) Cydia tweak that lets you bypass the passcode prompt if you're connected to pre-designated wifi networks (such as your home's.)

Why skip version 1.1? Because it can seriously screw up your device.

Here's what happened with me:

I have an iPhone 3GS and a new iPad. The previous version of AutoProtect (v1.02) did not work with the iPad. Installing it would induce a recurring safe mode loop until I delete it. However, it worked perfectly on my iPhone.

The latest version (1.1) just came out at the end of August, and it initially worked well on my iPad with no safe mode errors. However, soon after installing it, my iPad started acting bizarrely. It would suddenly run out of memory, and all apps would crash mere seconds after launching due to lack of memory ( incl. Cydia.) Killing processes would not free up the memory, and the only way to fix this was to restart the device.

On my 3GS, things were different. After updating to v1.1, the device started hanging up every once in a while, apps would randomly freeze for a few mins then crash. Eventually, the device would restart all by itself. And in some cases after the restart, the device got stuck in a respring loop where it would go blank and respring repeatedly before I could even unlock it. This could only be stopped by doing a hard reset (power+home button.)

It's important to note that once I managed to uninstall AutoProtect, all of these issues were gone, and the devices went back to acting 100% normally. So I am certain that AutoProtect caused this mess, and I hope that it gets an update soon. Until then, avoid version 1.1 like the plague!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.