Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titaniumdoughnu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
I'm posting this PSA in the hopes that people will find this from searches, instead of spending hours or days debugging, or even returning their computer as one person said they did on the Adobe forums.

Problem: Mac computers (possibly limited to M1/M2 Apple Silicon machines) have a major bug with dual or multiple monitors and certain creative or graphically demanding applications.

- Adobe After Effects exhibits laggy ram preview playback
- Blender (3d) has UI lags and some UI items are frequently non-responsive
- I've heard isolated reports of similar issues in other Adobe programs that sound related but haven't had time to personally test

Solution: turn ON Displays Have Separate Spaces under System Settings > Display and Dock > Mission Control

I personally experienced this with a new Mac Studio M2 Ultra, Apple Studio Display, and an LG DualUp display. No configuration of ports, HDMI, Thunderbolt, etc resolved the issue, but disconnecting either monitor did fix it. This led me to the Displays have Separate Spaces fix, and I've since seen it corroborated by other users, and Adobe employee Jenkmeister mentions that Adobe and Apple are aware of it it, as of Sep 7, 2023.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.