Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you sideload before 11.3?

• Yes I sideloaded and used apps that aren’t available in the Mac app store yet

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Yes - and I’m staying on 11.2.3

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • No, I don’t use iOS apps on my M1

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • No I had no need to / my apps are already in the Mac app store

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
Thanks to my buddy @leons who’s updated to 11.3, I’ve just been notified of this. I myself have stayed on 11.2.3 and all aspects of sideloading still work as always. Installing apps by the traditional sideloading methods on 11.3, and running sideloaded apps you have already installed, has been mostly if not completely blocked.

I was planning to update but now I feel like i’m probably stuck on 11.2.3 for the foreseeable future as I use a lot of the apps I have sideloaded from iMazing.

What’s most frustrating about this is how artificial this block is - we’ve been able to run the exact same software on the exact same systems on the exact same configuration for most of this time up to now, where suddenly Apple (and iOS devs) decide to limit what our devices can run. iMazing only lets you download and install iOS apps that you own/ have purchased on your iCloud account so it’s no different from buying an ‘iPhone app’ and installing it on your iPad.

And sure, developers had the argument that their apps get hit with negative reviews from users who sideload their apps and they don’t work as expected on the m1 macs. But the fact is, Apple Silicon Macs are here to stay. The m1 macs are proving to be some of the best macs Apple has released ever and they’re only going to get better - I don’t think blocking all these iOS apps not currently available in the Mac app store is the way to go. It certainly isn’t embracing the Apple Silicon transition and, worse yet, we’re not being given the freedom we should have of running whatever software we want to on our computers, even if that software happens to have bugs, especially when we legally own it.

I believe all of these iOS apps should be available on the mac app store like the majority that are available on iPads, with a warning message pop up when installing an app that hasn’t been updated, stating clearly that this app may not function as required as its not been optimised for macs. Then, until the developer updates the app, disable the reviews section on the mac app store side stating that reviews are blocked for apps that aren’t optimised yet.

It’s a choice we should be able to make - the apps are clearly designed for iPhone/iPad and so no one should expect correct function when sideloading an app - even though a large majority of them work just fine. Apple never prevented apps which weren’t updated yet from running on new iPhones or iPads with outdated resolutions - they didn’t work as designed but we had the choice to run them accepting the fact they aren’t going to run as designed yet.

I’m wondering how other M1 users feel about this limitation- i’ve left a poll but also feel free to comment your feelings on the situation.

Reactions: Leon1das

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
None of your answers match my attitude. There should be a No, I haven't side loaded any apps, but I do use some iOS apps that are in the store.

I want to run iOS apps, even those not optimized for MacOS, but it seems that is not a priority with Apple or developers of said apps. I haven't done any sideloading because I want to stay within official channels.

One of the reasons I bought an M1 was thinking it would be able to run my iPhone/iPad apps, and that's a big upgrade from an intel Mac, and probably enough of a tradeoff to counter losing x86/64 compatibility for VM's. So now I have very few iOS apps, and a little x86 compatibility with an unlicensed insiders only Windows on Arm. I don't expect my M1 machine to get much use at all going forward and I'll be using my Intel Mac Mini for my mac stuff.

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
None of your answers match my attitude. There should be a No, I haven't side loaded any apps, but I do use some iOS apps that are in the store.
That would be the fourth answer on the poll, I probably should make that clearer.

Thanks for your opinion though! I fully agree with what you’re saying. I was essentially under the same impression too when buying my M1 Mac (that it would be able to run all the apps that my iPad can run) as that is how it seemed to be marketed.

And for all this time, sideloading gave me that. iMazing was using my Apple ID and downloading iPA files for apps that I owned directly from Apple’s servers. And now all of a sudden, 11.3 blocks this, and so I’m forced to choose between using perfectly fine working iOS apps which i’ve purchased on my Apple ID, or updating to the latest Big Sur.

I have no issue staying on 11.2.3 for now, but eventually i’ll have to update for one reason or another, and I hope the sideloading block is lifted yet again even though it’s probably unlikely.

Last edited:

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
apps that I owned
No, you don't own that app. You are licensed to use that app, and the dev of that app has the choice to license which platform is included in that license, and Apple in enforcing the dev's choice. All apps are available in the Mac App Store by default, so the ones that are not available are opted-out explicitly by the developers.

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
No, you don't own that app. You are licensed to use that app, and the dev of that app has the choice to license which platform is included in that license, and Apple in enforcing the dev's choice. All apps are available in the Mac App Store by default, so the ones that are not available are opted-out explicitly by the developers.
Yeah I can see what you’re saying, and it’s a valid argument.

It’s still a shame though. For example the spotify ios app, a service I pay for regardless where i’m using it and what version of the app I’m using. The ios app works great on macOS but it’s not on the Mac App Store as the developers marked it to not be available, because they assumed it wouldn’t work correctly or they just want to force everyone to use the desktop version.

I use it specifically for the built in equaliser which the desktop version of Spotify lacks and always has lacked, no matter how much the feature gets requested. Updating to 11.3 means losing this feature as I’ll have to use the desktop spotify app.

Oh well, it is what it is. I’ll enjoy 11.2.3 until I really need to update at which point I’ll say goodbye to all my sideloaded apps.

thedocbwarren

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Tried a game that does have an Intel port (Balder's Gate) and I can say it's less fun with touch. Same with XCOM: EW. The iOS apps are neat but it doesn't run well on desktop. Wondering how useful that feature is other than it's awesome running the simulator for dev.

ZeroReader

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2021
I am planning to buy a new M1 MacBook and want to update it to the latest version BEFORE macOS Big Sur 11.3. I don't want to update it to macOS Big Sur 11.3 because in Big Sur 11.3 needed sideloaded app for iPad will not start. One of my friends has already had this problem. So the question is: after unboxing the new Macbook how to update it to (if I am not mistaken) macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 from its original state avoiding updating to the latest macOS Big Sur 11.3?

MacFather

Suspended
Mar 16, 2012
iOS apps listed in the Mac App Store's purchased tab still working on 11.3, right?

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
I am planning to buy a new M1 MacBook and want to update it to the latest version BEFORE macOS Big Sur 11.3. I don't want to update it to macOS Big Sur 11.3 because in Big Sur 11.3 needed sideloaded app for iPad will not start. One of my friends has already had this problem. So the question is: after unboxing the new Macbook how to update it to (if I am not mistaken) macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 from its original state avoiding updating to the latest macOS Big Sur 11.3?
Well you might get lucky and the mac might come with 11.2.3 installed. But if not, your best option would probably be putting the mac in DFU mode and using apple configurator 2 on your friends mac to install 11.2.3 on the mac which you can download from ipsw.me (and all the versions of big sur from 11.0.1 up are still being signed by apple so that’s not an issue)

The only issue is this wipes your drive completely so you’d have to ideally do that before you set anything up on your mac

Reactions: ZeroReader

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
iOS apps listed in the Mac App Store's purchased tab still working on 11.3, right?
yes that’s all fine!

it’s only apps that aren’t listed in the mac app store which don’t work. which sucks - for example the alexa app which controls my speakers works perfectly on my mac but if i update to 11.3 i would not be able to use it?

ZeroReader

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2021
Well you might get lucky and the mac might come with 11.2.3 installed. But if not, your best option would probably be putting the mac in DFU mode and using apple configurator 2 on your friends mac to install 11.2.3 on the mac which you can download from ipsw.me (and all the versions of big sur from 11.0.1 up are still being signed by apple so that’s not an issue)

The only issue is this wipes your drive completely so you’d have to ideally do that before you set anything up on your mac
Thank a lot!
Is it safe?
Should I apply only one macOS 11.2.3 (20D91) update or should I do several one by one from the nearest to the current version?
Should I use "Update..." from apple configurator 2
Can I use an old macbook with USB-A (Macbook Air 2012) and cable USB-A - Type-C ?

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
Thank a lot!
Is it safe?
Should I apply only one macOS 11.2.3 (20D91) update or should I do several one by one from the nearest to the current version?
Should I use "Update..." from apple configurator 2
Can I use an old macbook with USB-A (Macbook Air 2012) and cable USB-A - Type-C ?
Well i’d say make sure the macbook you buy is not on 11.0 - that firmware had big zero day issues which affected even restoring the system.
any version higher than 11.0 is safe to restore - its essentially the same as putting an iphone or ipad into DFU mode and restoring ios.
I think you’ll be fine just using the desired version you want that being 11.2.3.

I cant answer the rest as I’ve never done this myself because i got my m1 at launch day so i’ve just been updating normally. But i’m sure there are tutorials out there which will help you with the whole process

ZeroReader

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2021
Well i’d say make sure the macbook you buy is not on 11.0 - that firmware had big zero day issues which affected even restoring the system.
any version higher than 11.0 is safe to restore - its essentially the same as putting an iphone or ipad into DFU mode and restoring ios.
I think you’ll be fine just using the desired version you want that being 11.2.3.

I cant answer the rest as I’ve never done this myself because i got my m1 at launch day so i’ve just been updating normally. But i’m sure there are tutorials out there which will help you with the whole process
Please, after downloading UniversalMac_11.2.3_20D91_Restore.ipsw what menu should I use to Update from current version to 11.2.3: Restore, Update, Prepare, Revive Device or smth else?

Attachments

• DFU.png
    DFU.png
    417.5 KB · Views: 169

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
Please, after downloading UniversalMac_11.2.3_20D91_Restore.ipsw what menu should I use to Update from current version to 11.2.3: Restore, Update, Prepare, Revive Device or smth else?
As I said, i’ve never used Apple Configurator 2 before, but if I were you I would definitely try the update option first.

Here’s what Apple support says:
F255EE12-8102-437E-BCC6-F4575F5CB47E.jpeg

Hope it helps

ZeroReader

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2021
As I said, i’ve never used Apple Configurator 2 before, but if I were you I would definitely try the update option first.

Here’s what Apple support says:
View attachment 1768268

Hope it helps
What if I just start InstallAssistant.pkg from here:
Download macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 full Installer via InstallAssistant.pkg

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...i7fezrmvu4vuab80m0e8a5ll/InstallAssistant.pkg

Will it update my let say 11.0.1 to 11.2.3 without the necessity to use DFU?

Paulejonesy

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
Has anyone tried replacing the 'iOS App Installer' app on 11.3/4 with the version from 11.2.3?

It's here if you fancy a go. (or uploading it so I can...)
/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/iOS App Installer.app

Paulejonesy

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
I (stupidly) upgraded to 11.3.1, but my side loaded apps still run. Is that the common expreience? Has anyone upgraded to 11.4 and their apps still run?

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
I (stupidly) upgraded to 11.3.1, but my side loaded apps still run. Is that the common expreience? Has anyone upgraded to 11.4 and their apps still run?
Some of my apps still run, some don't. There doesn't seem to be any real pattern to which apps run either, so I'm not sure what's causing it.

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
Some of my apps still run, some don't. There doesn't seem to be any real pattern to which apps run either, so I'm not sure what's causing it.
It looks like the apps targeting an old iOS version is not enforced to disable side-loading.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
I am still rocking 11.2.3 but depending on what happens at wwdc, it may be a moot point. If announced, I may go for the Macbook Pro 16, and thats going to arrive with 11.3+ or 11.4+ or 12.0 or whatever, so I lose my sideloaded apps anyway. So a Macbook Pro with no bootcamp or iOS apps... :rolleyes:

kandavu

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
I’m still on 11.2.3 and have sideloaded a slew of iOS utility and music apps that still work or partially work. Note of caution: Keep older ipa versions of apps that work in case newer updated versions of the same app cease to function.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
I’m still on 11.2.3 and have sideloaded a slew of iOS utility and music apps that still work or partially work. Note of caution: Keep older ipa versions of apps that work in case newer updated versions of the same app cease to function.

andrewgee

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2021
Has anyone tried replacing the 'iOS App Installer' app on 11.3/4 with the version from 11.2.3?

It's here if you fancy a go. (or uploading it so I can...)
/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/iOS App Installer.app
There you go

Attachments

• iosappinstaller_11.2.3.tgz.txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 187
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.