Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
The new PSP design will offer 64 MB of RAM instead of the older PSP's 32 MB or RAM to improve gameplay and game sharing.

Err...

I hope they cap the RAM requirements for developers, that way all the people who own the original PSP console dont get shafted by games that need the new one. >.>

I'll buy a PSP Slim. As soon as someone gets a homebrew friendly firmware on there.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
It basically means faster loading times for UMD.
It's not going to be something that inhibits the "Older" model(per se).
As all PSP games will work on both(only one will have better performance).

;)

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I would assume that its going to help frame rate some, but how much is anybody's guess.
It will be used for Video Out as well (480x272 games and full standard definition for movies - on any progressive scan tv).

Just found this too.

Trade in your old PSP. EBGames Gamestop is giving your $60 plus 10% more if you have the Store card

FYE however is giving you $100 for used PSP's how can anyone pass that up. Then all you have to pay for a new Slim PSP is $100 in Silver which looks so high tech or White which draws so much attention.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Do we know if the screens are brighter or if the analogue nub has been fixed?

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Well, I'm certain they are still using Samsung LCD's, but I don't think the model(whether its newer/better or not) has been disclosed. I have no idea about the analogue nub. Of course Sony probably thinks there is nothing "wrong" with it - and since it looks similar, I would have to say they probably didn't to anything to it.

.....but I would love to play test one of these newer models for a day or two(and review it).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What's bugging me, and making me potentially want the original more (if the new one will be pricey), is that they've addressed 1 issue the PSP has - battery. There's so many they haven't even touched. Size and weight are moot for me since they're not going to shrink the screen size to anything I'd care about.

Internal storage, bluetooth, analogue nub, poor screen, hold/power switch, better dead pixel policy, better speakers (they're as bad the DS Lites IMO).
When the DS Lite was launched it fixed all the problems of the original. Sony have wasted this IMO. They could have brought us a really stellar update.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
As far as the analog nub goes, it hasn't changed. I believe that is what I read on Joystiq in their hands-on. The Sony rep said it hadn't change.

I'm hoping the Entertainment Packs will be available well after the holiday season. I'd like to get a PSP, but with the busy gaming holiday season, I doubt I'll have funds to get one by the end of this year. $199 for all of the extras make the new PSP a much sweeter than the plain $169 system.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
$199 for all of the extras make the new PSP a much sweeter than the plain $169 system.

Absolutely.
I already planned on getting a memory stick with the system anyway; getting one plus Daxter and a Family Guy UMD for $30 more than the (core) PSP is a steal IMO.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh right.

Battery life is the same. AV cables aren't included (and AFAIK - component only). Sorry Sony.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Battery life is the same because they used a smaller batter, the original(or even the improved second-gen) PSP battery should last longer than this smaller form-factor unit. Although its said the larger batters "Stick Out" some, and that Sony is working on this.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Battery life is the same because they used a smaller batter, the original(or even the improved second-gen) PSP battery should last longer than this smaller form-factor unit. Although its said the larger batters "Stick Out" some, and that Sony is working on this.

They said the new PSP will come with a cover for the old battery pack. That trade in deal sounds sweet to me and might temp me into getting a family guy "freaking sweet" bundle...I think it comes with a 1gig card..that is sweet.

Get a slim PSP just in time for the greatest game ever....Silent Hill:D

Bless

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I might be tempted to buy a PSP again, after I sold my launch one about a year and a half ago.

I was really hoping for a more dramatic design improvement, more along the lines of equivalent changes to the DS. Not that I want the PSP to look like a DS, but it takes no thought to tell the difference between the two DS's, can't say the same about the PSP.

The silver doesn't do it for me, but it is a much better deal than the black or white. I do like the Star Wars PSP edition, looks very sudtle, not too over the top or in your face.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
playstation-premier-psp-tv-20070717074553038.jpg

PlayStation Premier: PSP TV
New device turns PSP into a portable television.
by Anoop Gantayat

US, July 17, 2007 - Sony has slowly been upping the functionality of the PSP, taking it beyond just games and movies and into, most recently, the high tech world of global positioning. But it appears that the company is just getting started.

As part of a flurry of announcements from today's PlayStation Premier event in Tokyo, Sony Japan announced a 1Seg Tuner device for the PSP. Attach this to the PSP USB port in much the same way that you attach the GPS receiver and camera to the system now, and you'll turn the system into a portable TV that's capable of receiving digital television broadcasts.

The 1Seg Tuner will go on sale on 9/20 at a cost of 6,980 yen. It will be compatible exclusively with the new PSP-2000 redesign, so current PSP owners are out of luck.
source

PSP starting to get some accessory love.....but early adapters are left out in the cold on this one.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'd say "use the TIMG tags" but you probably don't look at the Site Feedback forum ;)

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
a tv tuner ... that means game gear resurrection FTW

on memory: if true it might turn out quite interesting how it will be exactly used.. after all the games still have to work on the old one
perhaps they use it as some sort of second level of memory invisible to the developer which kinda works like a cache between main memory and UMD drive so that textures who get flushed because something else get's loaded instead will be saved there for a possible re-hit .. which of course means a more sophisticated memory controller

initial level loading or game loading won't see an improvment unless the new drive is loading fasterand of course the bus has also be fast enough (which i guess isn't really the bottleneck here)

i'm just reading up on the speed and the psp seems to have a 11Mbps max read speed which means it would take maximum of 25 seconds or so to fill it up completely but the seek times are said to be really bad.. perhaps they have improved that...

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Battery life is the same. AV cables aren't included (and AFAIK - component only). Sorry Sony.

They said the new PSP will come with a cover for the old battery pack. That trade in deal sounds sweet to me and might temp me into getting a family guy "freaking sweet" bundle...I think it comes with a 1gig card..that is sweet.

Apparently it turns out battery life in the slim isn't the same as the original. It's the same (8-10 hours) only if you use an old battery (with chunky battery cover), but with the new slim battery you're playing for 3-6 hours.

PSPFanboy
and Kotaku
(but they reference the above).

Be interesting to see if this is correct and sony's comments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.