Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Same here, especially on the cheaper part. I would also like to see games that are less PS2-like and more portable-like. :) And no more platform basterdization, since they SUCCEFFULLY butchered SG'nG PSP. :mad:

<]=)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
This seems a little suspicious.

The PSP has been out a while, isn't selling as well as it's competitor and costs more. Is it even profitable yet?

Then, due to the PSPs problems they decide to build a sequel. Spending money in R&D no less on a machine to cost less than the original? With an 8gb internal drive, large screen and UMD drive?

I don't get it. It doesn't add up.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
This seems a little suspicious.

The PSP has been out a while, isn't selling as well as it's competitor and costs more. Is it even profitable yet?

Then, due to the PSPs problems they decide to build a sequel. Spending money in R&D no less on a machine to cost less than the original? With an 8gb internal drive, large screen and UMD drive?

I don't get it. It doesn't add up.

Still for all the gloom and doom, its selling well. The DS is the fastest selling handheld EVER, Sony has put up the best fight of any held to date. I'm not saying the DS isn't worth all the credit is gets, but 20M Handheld units isn't bad.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
that would be bad ass. Count me in for one as soon as it gets launched :D (well IF it gets launched). The PSP has a pretty good library and works well as a little movie player and even as a music player in a pinch.

The internal memory doesn't really matter a whole lot to me, memory stick prices aren't that bad around here anymore (less than $70 for a 2GB) and the battery life on the one now isn't as abysmal as DS fanatics make it out to be. A slimmer system and hopefully reworked analog disc/d-pad would be awesome! Bluetooth would be bitchin too but keeping price down would outweigh that I suppose.

More like the concept model below would be sweet

Attachments

• 1233.jpg
    1233.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 140

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Seriously, in my neutrality to PSP era, my machine didn't last a journey to my girlfriends place. That said, with my M3 and Pokemon (which seems to EAT battery life) I'm getting muuuuch less playtime on my Lite. Should probably switch out to my original cart version :D

Could be put down to - faulty battery, bad memory stick (??).

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Leave to to Jimmi to be negative about a Sony product, even a rumored one that would fix pretty much all the complaints regarding the PSP :p

The newer batteries last 20-30% longer apparently, plus you can always spend the extra $30 on a new battery (which I loathe to do but sometimes ya gotta do whatcha gotta do)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well nevermind that I put down reasons saying it might not be the PSP itself. :rolleyes: I really do think it was a faulty battery. 4 hours play is not normal I think anyone can agree.
And forgive me for not believing even the slightest rumour where Sony are concerned. Unless you've somehow not spotted a single shard of Sony PR over the past few years.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Well nevermind that I put down reasons saying it might not be the PSP itself. :rolleyes: I really do think it was a faulty battery. 4 hours play is not normal I think anyone can agree.
And forgive me for not believing even the slightest rumour where Sony are concerned. Unless you've somehow not spotted a single shard of Sony PR over the past few years.

Kinda like Mario Galaxy & Metroid at launch huh? :rolleyes:

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
If sold for under $170, I might actually buy one.

An 8 GB iPod Nano costs more than that, and can't play video; and this would be a bigger, higher-res screen than my video iPod, and plays the same formats (I rip all my DVD's in MPEG-4).

Give it an even better screen (the screen was the most impressive part of the PSP IMHO), a finally half-decent game library, and most importantly, a usable battery life and reduce loading times...and make it not cost $250...and I'm there.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Jimmi, Kotaku is actually a very reliable source.

Kinda like Mario Galaxy & Metroid at launch huh?

Never heard that from a reliable source. Although Metroid, being the first game to begin development on the Wii, would have made sense.
More like the concept model below would be sweet

That was Sony's original PSP concept model from, like, 2003 or 2004...

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I hope they still leave in the Memory Stick Duo slot.

Why? Because, damn, that'd be hella sweet to be able to use both the 8GB internal and for example, an 8GB Memory Stick Duo card.

I love my PSP. But if this sucker comes out, hes gonna have a friend. :D

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
The sooner the better IMO...I want a PSP when I got to Europe this summer, but I'm having trouble paying 170 when a new one is coming this year

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
I have a hard time finding games for it that aren't dumbed-down PS2 ports or Lumines...so to me, the "joke" is still very "funny". This isn't a fanboi comment either...I have nearly 20 games for my DS Lite, which I've only owned since it launched in June last year, and I have 2 (used to be 3) games for my PSP which I had since Christmas of almost 2 years ago.

Yes, I had my eye on Silent Hill: Origins for quite some time, but now it's still not out and I'm giving up. I was also considering keeping my PSP for the Castlevania that's coming out...but then I realized I already had two exclusive Castlevania titles for the DS.

This was funny a year ago when the PSP didn't have much "good" games but that has past and the joke is sour.

*There are a lot of good PSP games out there....Silent Hill: 0rigins can't come soon enough.

Bless

On IGN, PSP has the more 8.0+ games than the DS does

...because we all know online gaming websites can tell me whether I like a game or not and are 100% correct with their reviews, ALWAYS.

I wasn't trying to start a fight...I'm just pointing out that I have a lot more fun with my DS. The lack of a second analog stick on the PSP really kills it for me too. The gameplay could potentially be really great on a lot of games, but because of the lack of a second analog stick, they end up being oversimplified (example: Socom: FTB's autoaim).

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
http://silenthillorigins.com/ .....For your latest scope on everything Silent;)

Have you seen the new gameplay footage....oh yeah it looks like silent hill 1 all over again:)

Dude seriously..if you wanted games for the PSP they are not hard to find

MGS: PO
RaC
Killzone
Tekken
The sport games....you name it its there
LocoRoco
The Warriors

Just to name a few....maybe they are not your style but believe me there are games for this system.

Bless

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
...because we all know online gaming websites can tell me whether I like a game or not and are 100% correct with their reviews, ALWAYS.

Just pointing it out is all, no need to get all defensive, hence the ;) . IGN is a fairly respected (as far as game sites go anyway) publication. PSP catches way too much crap (on this board in particular) and it gets a little tiring ;)

but in any case, I'm the opposite of you. I have a bunch of PSP games and only a few DS games because I think it's game base is pretty 'meh' (except for Theme Park :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.