Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dksoutha

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 may have been zapped by a power surge. No response from machine when pressing power button. Tried known good PSU, and the only sound I hear is a click when I plug in the power chord. No blinking lights, no LEDs on CPU tray. Pressing the LED test on mainboard shows the standby light and nothing else.

I also likely lost a 2012 5,1 to the same surge, except there is not even a click from the PSU when I plug it into the wall socket.

Any suggestions for testing? Also, if the mainboards are bad, is there a way to repair them?

Thanks in advance

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Most probable is that the surge burned the backplane. While sometimes is possible to repair the backplane, it´s not economically viable to do so when a replacement backplane from eBay costs around $75 with shipping.

I´d test the CPU tray with a sure working Mac Pro before buying any components, unfortunately with surges more than one component is damaged and your part list could be more expensive than getting a used complete Mac Pro.

dksoutha

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Most probable is that the surge burned the backplane. While sometimes is possible to repair the backplane, it´s not economically viable to do so when a replacement backplane from eBay costs around $75 with shipping.

I´d test the CPU tray with a sure working Mac Pro before buying any components, unfortunately with surges more than one component is damaged and your part list could be more expensive than getting a used complete Mac Pro.
As always, thanks for your help, tsialex 👍👍👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.