Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
hey
i currently use cubase, live 4, garage band, ardour, and kristal on windoze.
i want t experiment with PT, and the free thing seems great. only problem is that it doesn't work with classic enviorment, only natively booting OS 9. anybody know how to get around this and run PT free on tiger in something other than classic enviorment, or how to install OS 9 on an unsupported mac.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
CanadaRAM said:
Never gonna get 9 booting on a Mini.
hm.......
how bout yellow hat and then mac on linuc or whatever its called?
is there anybody who can get PT free running n a new-ish mac?
if digidesign actually wants people to buy their products, they should make the demo type things compatible with modern OSes. anyway, all i want in a daw is lots of channels, 24 bit, at least 96khz, a pretty interface, and some good plugins(especially a virual guitar and bass amp and drum machine that isn't synthetic but rock sounding)

if anyone knows of good free mac amp simulators in VST, AU, or LADPSDA format, that would rock. that and a good sampler with just 1 or 2 good rock kits, and i would be a most certainly happy camper :)

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
Democrat622 said:
hm.......
how bout yellow hat and then mac on linuc or whatever its called?

I am almost certain you can have Linux run on the Mac Mini, I know thats what I did for an ANS since it can't run the Mac OS, only AUX so it was an easy hack. But good luck ;)

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Digidesign don't need to get new converts, PT is a de-facto industry standard in production and post-pro, everybody knows how good it is and what it does.

I'd be very surprised if we ever see another "free" PT version for a later OS.

LaoTzu

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005
Pro Tools sucks!

Maybe Pro Tools is suffering from neglect.... Basically 10 years ago 99% of Pro Tools was shipping, today, it does nothing else.... MIDI is still not there. Plug ins are overpriced, and AU/VST offer better quality.
I think Peak does about everything PT does.... maybe Deck. Those who have unlimited budgets, rarely will use PT's even when offered free PT Rig, Logic, and other apps have a LOT more features, ease of use , integration, Live, Reason, virtual instruments, PT is a dog... who has been dead a while, and doesn't know it yet....

In 1996, we were all replacing PT with M-Audio hardware & sequencing, audio apps with open standards, We could use 128 tracks, and spend a few hundred on audio interfaces..... Now, M-Audio did so well, Digidesign bought them, and software is still a creaky mess.... Avid is dying in Video, Digi in audio.... but Midiman at least earned a profit ( stemming years of losses there @ Digi )

Yeah, they do say they are Standard, but no one buys them. Every well known studio get's it free, in exchange for letting them advertise that fact, I think complaints from M-Box, M-Audio, Pro Tools LE, and TDM systems are universally bad, poor quality, value, and based on updates or lack thereof, over a decade, I doubt they ever update that dog....

Garage Band will do more, Try Logic it has a zillion extras Digi can never catch up... They never grasped the power CPU's have & never developed Host based DSP - largely DSP from Integer Motorola chips - often 8 bit - and the best way to preserve audio is via 32 bit floats in Core Audio & AU which is not implemented in PT.

Save yourself the trouble, avoid them like a plague.... see tech support issues in this forum for more....

Peace,
LT

LaoTzu

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005
PT Free - only old app..

PT Free is only OS 9. That's because it's old, a decade old, bandaged but unsound.... it has no updates in a decade.... But no new features in that time even on X!

Use GB , it is everything PT should be.....

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
lautzu, why do you persist? you have ABSOLUTELY NO ****ING CLUE what you're talking about. you're wrong. you have a grudge against digi. take your **** elsewhere.

so there.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
CanadaRAM said:
Oh, only that much, and For Free !? :eek: :eek: :confused:

well, cubase gives all but the interface and the amp simulator. gb just needs a slighly better amp and more midi automation and mixing control.

im savin up for logic express or protools le

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
I don't know where Vertigo is, but if you were anywhere near Whitewater, WI I'd give you a beige G3 with OS9 in exchange for a case of beer... It's not even worth the cost of shipping to get rid of this thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.