Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
When the Public Beta for Yosemite is released, can I create a partition on my hard drive and install it there, and be able to boot into Mavericks for daily usage and Yosemite for beta testing? Or do I have to install Mavericks on the partition first, then upgrade to Yosemite? Help would be appreciated.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Like Mavericks I beleive it just installs over your current setup, unless you go the USB install method, but the folks in that thread are having issues getting tht to work.

My advice is to clone your existing drive so you have something to fall back on. Many (most?) of the developers make sure they have a bootable cloned image of the prior OS.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
So if the USB install method eventually gets to work, I could boot into Mavericks on one partition or Yosemite on another partition?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It gives you the ability to run disk utility from the usb drive, re-partition the drive and then have the installer select which drive to install from

There may be other ways, I've not upgraded my OS since Mavericks hits the streets and so I'm a little hazy on some of the details.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Like Mavericks I beleive it just installs over your current setup, unless you go the USB install method, but the folks in that thread are having issues getting tht to work.

My advice is to clone your existing drive so you have something to fall back on. Many (most?) of the developers make sure they have a bootable cloned image of the prior OS.

You can partition and then select that partition when you install. No need for a USB-based installation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.