Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hi guys, what are the rules if you sign up on beta.apple.com for the public beta? Once signed on, do you have to go ahead with the trial? Or is it just to be informed of its release?

I'm very tempted to trial the public beta on my iPad when it's released. If it works well, I may also trial it on my iPhone 6. I'm currently jailbroken on iOS 10 and am in 2 minds as to whether I can live without status bar notification symbols, Activator and Consolidation (although grouped notifications on iOS 12 is a lesser version of consolidation).

Any rough indications as to when it'll be released?

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks mate. I'll go and sign up now.

PS if I realise I made a mistake, how easy is it to go back to iOS 11? I have a backup of my iPad so would want to go back to that if possible.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Keeping in mind that any data on the device that doesn’t exist in your older backup will likely be lost.
I'll backup literally before I install the beta so will have themes up-to-date back up.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Keeping in mind that any data on the device that doesn’t exist in your older backup will likely be lost.

Not likely. It will. You can’t use a backup from 12 on anything but 12. So it’s important to use as many sync over backup features as you can whether that’s iCloud Photo Library or manually copying via image capture etc

Also if you have any issues with your hardware they will restore it back to the public software even for things like display repairs because their systems haven’t been updated for 12 and won’t be until it’s public

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Thanks mate. I'll go and sign up now.

PS if I realise I made a mistake, how easy is it to go back to iOS 11? I have a backup of my iPad so would want to go back to that if possible.
Before upgrading to the Public Beta, perform a backup via iTunes to your computer. Make sure that backup is encrypted, and make sure to archive it (instructions here: https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/create-an-archived-itunes-backup/).

This ensures you have a full backup on iOS 11 that you can go back to if you're not happy running the iOS 12 Public Beta. Once you upgrade to iOS 12 and your phone performs an iCloud backup, you won't have any iOS 11 backups to fall back on if you don't perform the above backup/archive.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I would recommend a back up or put the beta on an older phone if you have one. I did a beta once that did not allow me to use several important apps like my banking app. I had to wait for the app developers to catch up. Took about a month and a half. Luckily I had another phone. That being said I did not have that problem last year. I do enjoy the beta and I encourage you to send in any issues to apple when using the beta to make the final version better for everyone!

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
There aren't any "rules" to follow when in the Public Beta Program, and if you don't update to the newest release immediately they won't kick you off or anything. It is, however, recommended that you make a backup of your device on the latest public release (not beta) on iTunes so if something does go wrong with the betas you can format your device and start from the backup you made BEFORE the beta. Other than that, just install the beta profile on your phone and enjoy iOS 12 when it's released to the Public Beta Testers!

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Guys thanks for such top.replies and advice.

I've beta tested software and equipment equipment before and have provides full feedback to the developers. But I've beta tested an OS.

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
I would also add to make sure you read and understand the beta website carefully. Many important details are posted there (like how to do an archived backup too). Also, when you find bugs, use the Feedback Assistant app to report them so that Apple hopefully fixes in a future beta.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.