Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polocanada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
I have LTE/3G on iPad and Wifi internet with different provider. My Mac is also on Wifi. Recently my ISP provider for my Wifi experienced a network outage and I didn't get connectivity from my router to my ISP. The LTE/3G continued to work fine as the LTE/3G and ISP are different companies.

I experienced and interesting phenomena with the Puffin browser....

The Puffin browser continued to connect to my LTE/3G. The Wifi was on and all other apps in iPad would be expected to route the connection through Wifi whenever it's available as a connection. However here is what happened:

1. I had no connection on my Mac (connected to Wifi). As expected.
2. On my iPad I switched from LTE/3G to Wifi. The normal behaviour would be all apps on iPad start use Wifi. However, I noticed, while Safari and other apps didn't get connectivity, Puffin browser was still working as normal. I was able to load new pages on Puffin etc... even though my iPad was now on Wifi and all other apps didn't get connection.
3. The connection to internet on Puffin worked only until I reconnected to server. Once Puffin reconnected to Cloudmosa server, the connection stopped working (as expected) because now Puffin is using Wifi and not LTE/3G.

I was able to confirm it multiple times.

So I suspect Puffin connects through some kind of VPN connection to your server and iOS handles the VPN connections in some interesting way - it doesn't disconnect the connection and doesn't force the VPN to use Wifi, until the VPN connection is interrupted. That's when the Puffin starts using Wifi and no longer connects via LTE/3G.

This leads me to make assumption this may happen to some VPN connections in general. I assume that's the case although I can't test it right now. My assumption would be if iOS connects through VPN, then the connection continues through LTE/3G even though I turned on Wifi and made it available. So if I use VPN and go from mobile data to Wifi, the VPN connection continues to be through LTE/3G.

Not sure what to make out of this. I don't know if this assumption would stand but it certainly does with Puffin browser. It's quite odd, it's something I wouldn't expect,but probably makes sense for VPN connections.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.