Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I’ve been looking for what seems like years now for someone that makes men’s shorts that have front pockets that don’t empty themselves whenever you sit down.

This might seem like a simple and obvious requirement for a pocket. But it appears it is beyond most clothing companies.

I’m after something that is a simple smart casual thing. Not after cargo shorts. Nor building / worker shorts. Nor hiking. Just simple ‘chino’ like shorts but with pockets that work.

Reason for posting here is the thing that troubles me most about stuff in pockets falling out is when my ~£1k iPhone slides out of the pocket and lands on concrete. I’m honestly amazed it hasn’t broken more often.

I’m in the UK. Any tips greatly appreciated

Reactions: compwiz1202

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I strickly use cargo shorts and I know the OP stated he's not interested in those, but they are fantastic, deep pockets and lots of pockets

Reactions: Huntn

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I know the problem......and after looking I've found "normal" shorts with good pockets, they do exist!

But knowing where I get mine wont help since you're in the UK.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I usually get the chino shorts from Uniqlo. Never have a problem with keys or phone falling out of the front pockets.

(Yes, I posted the UK-specific link for you.)

Reactions: robinp and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve been looking for what seems like years now for someone that makes men’s shorts that have front pockets that don’t empty themselves whenever you sit down.

This might seem like a simple and obvious requirement for a pocket. But it appears it is beyond most clothing companies.

I’m after something that is a simple smart casual thing. Not after cargo shorts. Nor building / worker shorts. Nor hiking. Just simple ‘chino’ like shorts but with pockets that work.

Reason for posting here is the thing that troubles me most about stuff in pockets falling out is when my ~£1k iPhone slides out of the pocket and lands on concrete. I’m honestly amazed it hasn’t broken more often.

I’ve always preferred cargo shorts.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

You should look for shorts with "jeans style" pockets, rather than chino style pockets.

Jeans style pockets have a slit that is mostly horizontal (parallel to the ground), more towards the thigh, and usually curls up towards the midsection. Chino style pockets are usually straight and vertical or angled to be almost vertical (perpendicular to the ground), and usually more towards the side/hip.

Jeans style pockets hold stuff better but are less comfortable and scrape your hands when accessing, chino style pockets are more comfortable to put your hands into and to more easily slip things in and out.

Jeans style:
1598295225257.png

Chino style:
1598295310337.png

You can find chinos and non-athletic shorts with jeans-style pockets. There are fewer of them, but they exist, and they do tend to be from the more athleisure type of brands. But they still can look and feel like regular chinos.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

Wish I could find the same for jeans. I could fit like four 11PM into one of my dress pants pockets, but just barely get my one into my jeans pocket. Is the a specific jeans brand and style with the largest pockets?

Reactions: robinp

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I usually get the chino shorts from Uniqlo. Never have a problem with keys or phone falling out of the front pockets.

(Yes, I posted the UK-specific link for you.)

thanks, that’s a great tip. Will check them out :)

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
You should look for shorts with "jeans style" pockets, rather than chino style pockets.

Jeans style pockets have a slit that is mostly horizontal (parallel to the ground), more towards the thigh, and usually curls up towards the midsection. Chino style pockets are usually straight and vertical or angled to be almost vertical (perpendicular to the ground), and usually more towards the side/hip.

Jeans style pockets hold stuff better but are less comfortable and scrape your hands when accessing, chino style pockets are more comfortable to put your hands into and to more easily slip things in and out.

Jeans style:
View attachment 947149

Chino style:
View attachment 947152

You can find chinos and non-athletic shorts with jeans-style pockets. There are fewer of them, but they exist, and they do tend to be from the more athleisure type of brands. But they still can look and feel like regular chinos.

thanks, I hadn’t seen them on any other than denim jeans shorts. But I’ve had more of a search and it does seem there are some out there. ?

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Wish I could find the same for jeans. I could fit like four 11PM into one of my dress pants pockets, but just barely get my one into my jeans pocket. Is the a specific jeans brand and style with the largest pockets?

I’ve got some nudi jeans that have pretty deep pockets. They make a wide range of styles and shapes so it probably varies from style to style.

They aren’t cheap though ?

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.