Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pod5g

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2013
Does MR have any news about whether Apple will suddenly pull the old A4 devices (iPhone 4, iPod touch 4G) or the iPad 2? I'm asking this in the iOS 7 board because every device on sale will get iOS 7.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
I'd take a stab in the dark and say the iPhone 4 will be dropped from being sold this year. iPad 2 should still live on since it shares components with the iPad Mini.

If you use the search function you might find something.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Does MR have any news about whether Apple will suddenly pull the old A4 devices (iPhone 4, iPod touch 4G) or the iPad 2? I'm asking this in the iOS 7 board because every device on sale will get iOS 7.

What, exactly, does 'pull the old devices' mean?

If you mean will iOS7 run on them, who knows, it probably won't.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013

Ipad 2 will be supported but will probably get less features than iPhone 5s (if that is what they'll call it) and iPhone 5 (and iPad 4). As for the A4 devices, it is hard to tell. They could get iOS 7 with very limited features, but it is anyone's guess.
Serious enough? :D

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
I'd take a stab in the dark and say the iPhone 4 will be dropped from being sold this year. iPad 2 should still live on since it shares components with the iPad Mini.

If you use the search function you might find something.

agreed, i also think that iphone4 will be pulled out.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I think there is a chance the iPad 2 can be pulled, the reason why is because while it shares the same specs as the iPad mini it lacks certain features that may become center pieces of iOS 7. My prediction is that the iPhone 4 and 4th gen iPod touch will get dropped, and if not then that means less features coming to those devices while the fully supported list will be (at WWDC):

iPhone 5
iPhone 4S
iPod touch (5th generation)
iPad mini
iPad (3rd generation)
iPad (4th generation)

This list looks like something Apple would do, If you notice it maintains an equilibrium akin to WWDC 2012 when iOS 6 was announced

iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPod touch (4th generation)
iPad (3rd generation)
iPad 2

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
I just wish my poor iPad first generation would have had a better chance of being relevant for longer...

Bring iOS 7 to iPad first gen!!! (poor little guy)

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I think there is a chance the iPad 2 can be pulled, the reason why is because while it shares the same specs as the iPad mini it lacks certain features that may become center pieces of iOS 7. My prediction is that the iPhone 4 and 4th gen iPod touch will get dropped, and if not then that means less features coming to those devices while the fully supported list will be (at WWDC):

iPhone 5
iPhone 4S
iPod touch (5th generation)
iPad mini
iPad (3rd generation)
iPad (4th generation)

This list looks like something Apple would do, If you notice it maintains an equilibrium akin to WWDC 2012 when iOS 6 was announced

iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPod touch (4th generation)
iPad (3rd generation)
iPad 2

So Apple will drop two iPhones (3GS and 4) for iOS 7? Just based off history, they only drop one iPhone at a time, so I think iPhone 4 will stay. Additionally, they are still selling iPhone 4 (not that's a good indicatior but they haven't dropped support for an iPhone they are currently selling).

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I think they'll drop all devices with 256MB of RAM (so the 3GS and iTouch 4G) as they currently struggle with iOS 6, unless iOS 7 has a really different design style that uses less memory.

pod5g

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2013
I think they'll drop all devices with 256MB of RAM (so the 3GS and iTouch 4G) as they currently struggle with iOS 6, unless iOS 7 has a really different design style that uses less memory.

The iPod touch 4G is still being sold, so it will get iOS 7.

pod5g

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2013
Oh I'm glad we have an executive from Apple here who definitively knows the future of iOS ;)

It's purely speculation until WWDC, I'm just guessing, as is everyone else.

Oh haha. Very witty.

As for the part with actual content, yes it is and yes we are.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
A search of this forum would've found this thread which discusses the same thing.

As I said there, anything currently being sold today is likely to get iOS 7. And as others have mentioned not all the new features may make the oldest of those devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.