Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I know this just dropped, so I won't post any spoilers now, but holy smokes! What a freaking series! Loved it from start to finish. I don't know if there will be a season two but I hope so as this one was really good IMHO.

Me and the wife started it on Saturday and pretty much blew through all 13 episodes! She actually liked it to.

Anyone else watched or watching this?

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Say what!!!! it had me hooked from the get go. At least you stuck with it!

I stick with all of them because I didn't read comic books as a kid so I don't know the stories behind the characters, if you don't know the why then the what isn't all that important

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I stick with all of them because I didn't read comic books as a kid so I don't know the stories behind the characters, if you don't know the why then the what isn't all that important

It is a coin toss between Season One of Daredevil and Punisher on which I like better. There was violence in DD that we had not seen at the time in a comic book based movie. Yes we had Blade etc, but at the time, most folks didn't know that was based off a comic book. But even then the violence was somewhat tame and palatable since you knew it was a vampire vs vampire. The Punisher series took that violence to a whole new level! The scene in episode 12 was something else and I compare it to the DD scene with the car door pumped to the next level! Wowzers!

Reactions: Huntn

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
It is a coin toss between Season One of Daredevil and Punisher on which I like better. There was violence in DD that we had not seen at the time in a comic book based movie. Yes we had Blade etc, but at the time, most folks didn't know that was based off a comic book. But even then the violence was somewhat tame and palatable since you knew it was a vampire vs vampire. The Punisher series took that violence to a whole new level! The scene in episode 12 was something else and I compare it to the DD scene with the car door pumped to the next level! Wowzers!

I like the heck out of daredevil too but if I remember that thread too I said much the same thing as I did on this one.

Punisher is violent and graphically and since it's shot with that same darkish grainy overlay it makes the violence even worse

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I like the heck out of daredevil too but if I remember that thread too I said much the same thing as I did on this one.

Punisher is violent and graphically and since it's shot with that same darkish grainy overlay it makes the violence even worse

For me, dark is a minus, violence if not handled right is a minus. I’ve not yet seen Punisher on Netflix, but the seemless fight sequence in Season 1 Daredevil was awesome! A hero that punishes people without killing them. Hopefully Punisher retribution does not strike me as excessive.

Jinkst

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2008
Sydney, AUS
Watched the first ep, good start. Waiting til I have some time to binge a few before pressing on.

I can already tell this series is going to make me continually wish Shane was still in the Walking Dead...

Reactions: jkcerda and twietee

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Just finished it. 10/10 (near) perfection.

That's as close as it can get to the comic books for me and the side-story about Lewis..:eek: just damn. Didn't see something ultra dense like that coming in a Marvel Netflix show.

Reactions: jkcerda

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
JIGSAW incoming!! ;) :D

Also, that was "Pete" being scared..Frank's another case

Yes he is! Of course that is if they do another season. I don't see why they don't, but that doesn't mean they will. Fingers crossed as I would love to see what kind of mayhem Jigsaw can create!
[doublepost=1511974441][/doublepost]
The way it ended I'm not sure there will be a season two. Pre-quel maybe?

That is what has me a little nervous and since there hasn't been any talk or even mumbling from either Netflix or Marvel, has me a little worried.

Reactions: jkcerda

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
That is what has me a little nervous and since there hasn't been any talk or even mumbling from either Netflix or Marvel, has me a little worried.

He's part of the Defenders team so there is a lot more to come for the show.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I just finished it and thought it was great. Easily one of the better Netflix/Marvel series. I thought the critical response would be higher, I only looked into it after finishing the last episode. I guess some aren't a fan of the tone and violence :/

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
I binge watched it in exactly two short days and I absolutely loved it. Here's my review of it on IMDb:

This is by far the best Marvel show I've watched, and Daredevil comes as a close second. It had all the elements of a terrific TV show: amazing cinematography, stellar acting, interesting backstory, thrilling action, and FANTASTIC soundtracks playing throughout.

As I said, Daredevil comes as a close second because it was an amazing show as well.

I must say that the darkness and violence of The Punisher kind of separates it from the rest of the pack. Yes, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, and others had a lot of violence and darkness but The Punisher is on another level that I actually found myself gasping in some scenes.

Although Jon Bernthal (Frank Castle) was phenomenal in this, I believe that Ben Barnes (Billy Russo) absolutely stole the show.

This is a must watch for Marvel fans as well as dark/thriller shows fans in general.

10/10

Reactions: Huntn and jkcerda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.