Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Hello,

My Antivirus is detecting 2 files as Potentially Unwanted Program
  1. I know, there is a very few malware out there that can affect macOS
  2. I know, macOS is safe and doesn't really need an Antivirus protection, (Maybe MBAM for Mac just to check If everything is ok)
  3. I know, a PUP detection does not mean that the software is malicious, but is instead a Potentially Unwanted Program. This typically means that the software is identified as performing actions that many users find undesirable.
  4. I know, I am hardheaded installing an Antivirus :p
What I don't know and because I am curios which is the App that my Antivirus is detecting as PUP, the path where the PUP IS, does not give me more information.

/Users/USER/Library/Containers/com.apple.appstore/Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore/WebKitCache/Version 12/Blobs/63BC92978390A3485E92E1CD49B4C33A160089CC

/Users/USER/Library/Containers/com.apple.appstore/Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore/WebKitCache/Version 12/Records/22166E55BD6331366B10BB8B6EF306F40B9CC9B2/Resource/AD9756F244ADB931EFDBAF4CE0AEA96D0877CE50-blob

How can I know which App has a relationship with the 2 files above?

Update 1: Apple Store mmhhhh:eek:
Update 2: FP, I am sure :cool:

Thanks
Came

06Avast_virus.png

NastyNatex

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
Avast Security

Came

I would upload the files to VirusTotal for further investigating and a second opinion. But I wouldn't too much worry about it. It would be impossible to figure out which app it's coming out unless you use a tracer to delete Appstore apps such as "Appcleaner" and really going through the files one by one.

Reactions: camelia

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
I would upload the files to VirusTotal for further investigating and a second opinion. But I wouldn't too much worry about it. It would be impossible to figure out which app it's coming out unless you use a tracer to delete Appstore apps such as "Appcleaner" and really going through the files one by one.

Apple Store allows to download and install Potentially Unwanted Program? :eek::eek::eek:

You gave me a good advice Appcleaner... lets find out...

Thanks
Came

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Those are cached files (probably text or image) used by the App Store. Those files are no executable and I probably just false positive.

Reactions: camelia

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Those are cached files (probably text or image) used by the App Store. Those files are no executable and I probably just false positive.

it is a text and you are right It was a FP

Update: I had to report it to AVG, because AVAST never provide me support about this issue :mad:

Thanks
Came

09Avast_virus.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.