Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
Hi all, just a sanity check...

The ADC select membership is $499, and comes with one ADC hardware discount. The 15" 2.4 MBP is $2499 list, $1999 ADC discount. The obvious question to me is, why not do it that way? Is there a downside?

I probably wont have too much use for the membership, but access to beta software never hurts. If I had looked into this 6 months ago and been in the market, it would be a no brainier to be able to play with the beta builds, but it's still tempting regardless...

In all honesty, if Apple would just tell me that I would get leopard when released, I'd probably just go to the apple store tonight and not bother, but that's another story.

Thanks,

Paul

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I'm Joining ADC To Get Maximum Discount On Harpertown-Stoakley 8 Core Mac Pro

Makes more sense when the list price is north of $3K. I'm joining to get a lot off my Mac Pro purchase as well as Leopard. But I'm also buying a copy of Leopard for delivery on shipping day.

Currently the base 8 core MP is $3,198 at the ADC store
While it costs $3,997 list
Academic $3,647

PLUS SALES TAX

So it's $3,698 at ADC but sales tax is only on the $3,198 and that's $40 less in california.

So it's about a wash. But you get a copy of Leopard plus monthly software DVD mailings including newer versions of Leopard over the year.

NoOneButMe

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2006
Dont forget to include tax when you buy ADC Membership. That'll make up for the $40 difference.

And by the time it's out, Leopard will be out as well so it's moot if you're planning on a free copy of Leopard to make up for the price difference.

Oh, and Stoakley = Harpertown + Seaburg chipset. Harpertown is implied when you say Stoakley :)

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
So it's about a wash. But you get a copy of Leopard plus monthly software DVD mailings including newer versions of Leopard over the year.

See, that's my thinking. It's not just leopard, but the possibility of working with new software tools before they hit prime time. I just don't see the downside.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
See, that's my thinking. It's not just leopard, but the possibility of working with new software tools before they hit prime time. I just don't see the downside.

technically you're only allowed to use the machines for development.

NoOneButMe

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2006
Unless you're a developer, the tools will be useless to you - ADC is stuff like XCode or library or documentation updates. Not FCS / Pro tools / etc updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.