Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Have an opportunity to buy an iPhone XS for CAD1000 (only a few days old) or a pixel 3 for CAD800. Which one should I choose? Currently have an iPhone X which I love. But I’ll be giving this to my daughter..so Loki g for a phone for myself.
Considering the price difference of 200 which one should I get??

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I would get the XS.

Wouldn't bother with the overpriced ugly Pixel 3. If I want an Android phone, I'll grab the Mi A2 or the Pocophone F1 (less than half the price of the Pixel 3). No point in spending more than double of those prices for the Pixel 3 to run the same apps.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I would get the XS.

Wouldn't bother with the overpriced ugly Pixel 3. If I want an Android phone, I'll grab the Mi A2 or the Pocophone F1 (less than half the price of the Pixel 3). No point in spending more than double of those prices for the Pixel 3 to run the same apps.
The iPhone runs broadly the same apps as most android phones.

People buy the pixel for its camera and other pixel exclusive software features. The pixel 3 has the best display on phone. That’s what you are paying the extra for.

Personally I’d get the Xs because I prefer iOS. If I liked android better I’d get the pixel 3.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Currently have an iPhone X which I love.

I think you already have your answer here. You say that you are happy with iOS, so stay with it. Android isn't any better than iOS, it's just different.

If you really want something different, then go ahead and try Android. But if you think you are going to be getting something better, you are going to be disappointed.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
If you're comfortable with iOS then there you go. If you want to just dabble with Android maybe the OnePlus 6/6t would work better

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Leaning towards XS - played with the pixel 3 demo, looks ok with clean Android. But cosmetically, no comparison to iPhone.
Only debate for me is - the Pixel 3 camera and OK google. Both of these features are so much better on Pixel 3.
iPhone XS will definitely have a better resale value. So decisions, decisons

I cannot use any other android phones than the pixels - I don't particularly like how android homescreens look - so having oneplus 6T or samsung is definitely a no for me. I cant stand any other android flavors like touchwiz or Oxygen OS

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
If you decide on the iPhone Xs, fully test it out before the 14 day return policy and follow the threads as it could turn out requiring a hardware fix. Otherwise, Samsung or Pixel is a safer bet if you appreciate reception and media playback.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-the-xs-max-even-worse-than-iphone-x.2140854/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/choppy-video-playback-on-iphone-xs-and-xs-max.2140783/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-xs-momentary-stuttering-after-inactivity.2141542/

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I use Google Assistant all day a lot. Saying "Hey Google" to do any multitude of tasks, or ask questions about sports score or weather, etc... Have Google Assistant make texts for me hands free.

Siri blows in comparison.

The camera on the Pixel 3 is amazing, as is the super cool new Night mode, which is almost magical in what it can do.

And stock Android truly is the best, direct updates from Google, each and every month. The OS is just so smooth.

Plus I'm so used to the Google News Feed on the left panel, it's great. It knows what topics you like and keeps you up to date.

I'd have zero use for an iPhone XS, what does it bring to the table over a Pixel 3 ? Nothing in my mind.

- iMessage ? LOL people still care about that ? WhatsApp is just as good.
- FaceTime ? Don't need that, when Google Duo is here for both platforms.

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
Only debate for me is - the Pixel 3 camera and OK google. Both of these features are so much better on Pixel 3.
OS

the xs' camera is comparable to pixel 3's, except in low light, but xs shoots much better videos. i dont have a gopro or anything, so i lean towards the xs.

another point to consider is your daughter will have x. xs will be better connectivity with your daughter. you have imessage, airdrop, and family sharing allows you to share apps and other purchases with your daughter. the downside is you might get locked into the apple ecosystem though

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Have an opportunity to buy an iPhone XS for CAD1000 (only a few days old) or a pixel 3 for CAD800. Which one should I choose? Currently have an iPhone X which I love. But I’ll be giving this to my daughter..so Loki g for a phone for myself.
Considering the price difference of 200 which one should I get??

I would get the iPhone Xs, pixels and Samsung don’t keep thier value. I’m sure you will be able to pick up a pixel in a month or two for much less, iPhone Xs not so much.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
If you decide on the iPhone Xs, fully test it out before the 14 day return policy and follow the threads as it could turn out requiring a hardware fix. Otherwise, Samsung or Pixel is a safer bet if you appreciate reception and media playback.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-the-xs-max-even-worse-than-iphone-x.2140854/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/choppy-video-playback-on-iphone-xs-and-xs-max.2140783/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-xs-momentary-stuttering-after-inactivity.2141542/
Not you got me worried
I will have no option of return as I'm buying it from a private seller - used for a week or so.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Not you got me worried
I will have no option of return as I'm buying it from a private seller - used for a week or so.

A lot of Xs/Xs Plus buyers are stuck with these issues beyond their 14 day return policy so they're pawning it off on other unknowing buyers. Too risky to save a few bucks so better to buy new from Apple but fully test it out before the 14 day return policy.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
The iPhone runs broadly the same apps as most android phones.

People buy the pixel for its camera and other pixel exclusive software features. The pixel 3 has the best display on phone. That’s what you are paying the extra for.

Personally I’d get the Xs because I prefer iOS. If I liked android better I’d get the pixel 3.

They Pixel 3 XL was given the best display award by displaymate, not the Pixel 3. Two different phones. Two different display manufacturers.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
They Pixel 3 XL was given the best display award by displaymate, not the Pixel 3. Two different phones. Two different display manufacturers.
I thought they had the same display. I thought Google’s sales pitch was that everything is the same only the screen size is bigger.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I thought they had the same display. I thought Google’s sales pitch was that everything is the same only the screen size is bigger.

They may have said that, I’m not sure. But the Pixel 3 display is made by LG and the XL is made by Samsung (who are far better than LG at making displays). And I’m pretty sure the resolution is different as well.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
In my mind it goes like this...

If updates and or camera are most important, get a Pixel.

If you want the most powerful, feature rich phone, get a Note 9 or Mate 20.

If you want a flagship phone but are willing to make some concessions to cut down on price, get the OnePlus 6t.

Reactions: koigirl

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Update on this
Played with a pixel 3 at a store and nothing that impressed me to spend $1000 on this. So decided to get an iPhone XS. The iPhone I was going to get privately had a lot is scratches on screen. So didn’t end up buying it. Waiting for the Black Friday sales here in Canada with carriers.
Unless I get a pixel 3 at a good discount I’ll be getting the XS.

Last edited:

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
^ Good choice. The XS is a better value. iOS is more secure, it is much more fluid, it has iMessage (most people in North America do not use WhatsApp and probably no one is going to download that app just to text you—so, if you went with an Android, you’d be stuck with their awful texting apps), the App Store has much more refined apps unlike the Google Play Store, and the iPhone has better resale value.

I had a Galaxy S8+ for six months and it was awful. I don’t know how I managed to use that phone for six months. I was happy-crying when I replaced it with an iPhone (I took a financial hit but it was worth it).

I’m only considering an Android again because iPhone prices have gotten so ridiculously high, but I’ll most likely bite the bullet and purchase an iPhone because I just don’t trust Androids. The Pixel is the only Android phone I would consider.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Update on this
Played with a pixel 3 at a story and nothing that impressed me to spend $1000 on this. So decided to get an iPhone XS. The iPhone I was going to get privately had a lot is scratches on screen. So didn’t end up buying it. Waiting for the Black Friday sales here in Canada with carriers.
Unless I get a pice 3 at a good discount I’ll be getting the XS.

Note 9 at this moment should cost 2/3 the price of xs. Note 9 is better overall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.