Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I want to purchase my first All in one printer. I'm not sure where to start for my search but here are some of the features I want.

*good* Airprint support (apparently HP does it well)
Automatic document feeder
Color & black/white prints
I want this printer to work with both Windows 7 and OS X (Lion and Snow Leopard)
Wireless capabilities
Network printing
Ethernet connection
the smaller the better (without sacrificing print/scan/copy quality)
fast scanning speeds
fairly fast print speed
OCR capabilities
Affordable ink prices
easy setup
quiet

No budget in mind for now.

Any suggestions?

What do you think of this?
Edit:HP Officejet 6500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer - E710n

Last edited:

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I want to purchase my first All in one printer. I'm not sure where to start for my search but here are some of the features I want.

*good* Airprint support (apparently HP does it well)
Automatic document feeder
Color & black/white prints
I want this printer to work with both Windows 7 and OS X (Lion and Snow Leopard)
Wireless capabilities is a must for wireless printing
the smaller the better (without sacrificing print/scan/copy quality)
fast scanning speeds
Affordable ink prices
fairly fast print speed
easy setup
quiet

No budget in mind for now.

Any suggestions?

What do you think of this?
http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/CN557A%23B1H

i wish i knew more about all in ones. i've never liked them much. i've always preferred buying separately. i'll be interested in seeing what people think. perhaps they have improved.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I like the Epson Artisan line. Mine a 720, so it's a little older, but it can even print up a CD in addition to all the regular functions. It is not an airprinter, but there are Epson apps to print from an iPad

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
i wish i knew more about all in ones. i've never liked them much. i've always preferred buying separately. i'll be interested in seeing what people think. perhaps they have improved.
I want to an all in one printer because I am limited in space.

I like the Epson Artisan line. Mine a 720, so it's a little older, but it can even print up a CD in addition to all the regular functions. It is not an airprinter, but there are Epson apps to print from an iPad

I would prefer an Airprint capable printer. I'll look into the epson line.

I'm pretty much set on the HP Officejet 6500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer - E710n what do you think? Do you know of another option by chance?

Last edited:

spidey3

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
I want to an all in one printer because I am limited in space.

Trust me. As a former purchaser of an all-in-one unit I have learned that they are definitely Jack of all trades, but master of none.

Instead, buy:
  1. A good printer which meets your printing requirements.
  2. A scanner which meets your resolution / speed requirements.
  3. A shelf so you can stack them.
You will spend less money, and get better results by far.

Spidey!!!

----------

I had terrible experience with my HP OfficeJet 7310 all-in-one. Network interface crapped out one week after the warranty expired, and never worked again. That's ok - as it never really worked well over the network anyway. USB connection was only marginally better. HP provided software was embarassingly bad, basically bloatware designed to splash the HP logo over as much of the desktop as possible. Scanner went out of alignment (everything is slightly skewed) and there is no way to adjust it. And now the rollers in the document feeder are worn out, and HP tells me they do not sell replacements.

Spidey!!!

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
my roommate is happy with Canon MX860 AIO printer. And I have Canon MX330 and not too impressive. You can google search about MX860.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Trust me. As a former purchaser of an all-in-one unit I have learned that they are definitely Jack of all trades, but master of none.

Instead, buy:
  1. A good printer which meets your printing requirements.
  2. A scanner which meets your resolution / speed requirements.
  3. A shelf so you can stack them.
You will spend less money, and get better results by far.
Your probably right but I'm limited in space and the all in one I'm looking at is 150$ I don't think you can find a scanner, printer, copy, fax and the shelf to sport them all for that price.

spidey3

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Your probably right but I'm limited in space and the all in one I'm looking at is 150$ I don't think you can find a scanner, printer, copy, fax and the shelf to sport them all for that price.

$150 is a good price - but caveat emptor. Cheap people often pay twice!

And who needs fax these days -- just scan, then send a .pdf by email. Or use http://www.efax.com or similar...

Spidey!!!

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Make sure you look at cost of ownership. Printer cartridges can be very expensive and HP in particular subsidise their printers with high costs for their cartridges. I looked at replacing my colour and black cartridges the other week and it was actually cheaper to buy a new printer. I believe Kodak are better

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Make sure you look at cost of ownership. Printer cartridges can be very expensive and HP in particular subsidise their printers with high costs for their cartridges. I looked at replacing my colour and black cartridges the other week and it was actually cheaper to buy a new printer. I believe Kodak are better
I haven't looked at the cost of ink but HP printers are one of the few manufacturers to support airprint

$150 is a good price - but caveat emptor. Cheap people often pay twice!

And who needs fax these days -- just scan, then send a .pdf by email. Or use http://www.efax.com or similar...

Spidey!!!

Faxes are still used for contracts and often times in businesses. It is also included so why not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.