Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Here is my dilemma…
I currently have an iPhone 12 Mini with T-Mobile and I have their insurance plan which includes AppleCare+ with it. I kind of want to cancel their insurance and just buy the AppleCare+ directly from Apple. I’m over the 60 days. I read on Macrumors sometime ago that you can purchase AppleCare+ from a store, but you have to get the device inspected by a Genius in order to do so. I just can’t find anything on Apple’s website about this.
Is this still a thing?

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Phone Apple Support and ask to purchase Apple Care.
During the process, they ‘connect’ to your device to check a few things, and then send you a link to complete the purchase.

I will admit the last time I did this was at least 3 years ago.
Now, I just purchase Apple Care at the time of purchase of the hardware…

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
I believe that that is still true. You can try calling Apple and ask them to do a remote diagnostic of the phone.
I wasn’t sure if that was an option. The macrumors article that was discussing this explicitly states it has to be done in person and not remotely. I’m fine with either option. I just don’t want to drop the T-Mobile plan and be SOL.

BTW: you are always so helpful here and respectful and kind when doing so. Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate it. Sometimes I post stuff here and people get really nasty.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I wasn’t sure if that was an option. The macrumors article that was discussing this explicitly states it has to be done in person and not remotely. I’m fine with either option. I just don’t want to drop the T-Mobile plan and be SOL.

BTW: you are always so helpful here and respectful and kind when doing so. Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate it. Sometimes I post stuff here and people get really nasty.
Phone support may tell you that you have to go the local store. If it is worth a shot to see if you can the remote. I have been successful that route although it was many years ago.

Thank you for the compliment.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
60 days would be a hard line tbh, whether it can be inspected by Genius Bar staff or not. You can give it a shot but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that.

Btw, inspection thing is there in Australia apple store website when you configure your device during purchase.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
60 days would be a hard line tbh, whether it can be inspected by Genius Bar staff or not. You can give it a shot but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that.

Btw, inspection thing is there in Australia apple store website when you configure your device during purchase.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
You can add it up to one year later because of COVID. That’s what I was told, and I was told by Apple that I would have to bring it in to a store after 60 days.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I Wouldn’t count on that. I know it was announced but Apple still says on their support site that you have 60 days to purchase AppleCare+.
Yeah. That’s what I am concerned, especially when that announcement mentions no other country at all.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I brought in a HomePod earlier this year and the staff at the Apple Store knew exactly what the policy is. After 60 days, you must bring it in for physical inspection. I even bought AppleCare+ for my iPhone 11 Pro Max in December (Warranty would have expired in March 2021, now it's valid until December 2022)

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Here is my dilemma…
I currently have an iPhone 12 Mini with T-Mobile and I have their insurance plan which includes AppleCare+ with it. I kind of want to cancel their insurance and just buy the AppleCare+ directly from Apple. I’m over the 60 days. I read on Macrumors sometime ago that you can purchase AppleCare+ from a store, but you have to get the device inspected by a Genius in order to do so. I just can’t find anything on Apple’s website about this.
Is this still a thing?
Yes, in Canada it’s a thing. I did it several months ago with an iPhone and iPad.

you have to bring it in. They need to run a diagnostic on the device. They did not inspect my devices however. Doesn’t take too long.

I believe that that is still true. You can try calling Apple and ask them to do a remote diagnostic of the phone.

when I did that they had no clue what I was talking about when they routed me to apple support. Try calling your store instead.

If you get AppleCare at the last day of the year, your AppleCare coverage is gonna cover you for a looooongggg time. Kinda Like an extra two years as long as your are careful during your first year.

it is a thing tho, but they didn’t actually inspect my devices lol just ran a diagnostic. I think they avoided touching it cuz of COVID
I Wouldn’t count on that. I know it was announced but Apple still says on their support site that you have 60 days to purchase AppleCare+.
Those are the requirements to get it by yourself via online or over the phone. You have to get it done in person, and it is legit because I’ve done it before

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If you get AppleCare at the last day of the year, your AppleCare coverage is gonna cover you for a looooongggg time. Kinda Like an extra two years as long as your are careful during your first year.

it is a thing tho, but they didn’t actually inspect my devices lol just ran a diagnostic. I think they avoided touching it cuz of COVID
My device is bought in Australia and there is no one-year grace period for me to purchase AppleCare+.
I wish I could do that though, especially considering I might be able to keep the device in good condition for 3 to 5 months.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004

I agree he’s very helpful member

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.