Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zarog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2002
What's better? Purchase hardware from Apple's online store or brick and mortar that's an authorized dealer? Or even from another online site?

Looking for good and bad from both aspects. Thanks.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Actual storefronts

are best for everything but Towers. If you want a Tower, do a BTO from Apple's website. There is nothing like a custom Quicksilver to bring out the Geek equivalent of Muscle Car Mania. A BTO is the only thing I can think of that adequately offsets the instant gratification of a storefront.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Call a Mac catalog store.

I've been able to consistantly get free stuff by simple bartering with a catalog store over the phone. I was able to get 256 more RAM, an optical mouse and an extended warrenty when I bought my TiBook.

Be firm, be amiable...get more. Don't settle for what the stores are offering, you can often beat it by shopping around (compare tax, shipping, free stuff, etc.) and sweet talking a representative into a better deal.

Even if your sure your buying a new Mac, your not sure if your talking to a dealer. Just like buying a car. ;)

Matthew

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Hm, that's an interesting thought... can Apple charge sales tax to everyone that has an Apple Store in their state? Or is it the corporate office that determines that? I'm not sure...

suneun

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2002
Apple Stores are great

After a long journey getting my 933mhz, I'm a firm believer in purchasing directly at an Apple Store (not online). Online is a pain unless you really want a BTO (which will take a few days extra to ship, usually). If you're within an hour and a half of an Apple Store, just go there. You'll ensure that you receive the product that day, you'll get to enjoy the lovely store, and support Apple's retail project (sort of).

Also, you can get education discount at the stores (started two weeks ago) if you're a student, which means even less of a reason to go through online retailers.

Lastly, the Apple Store gets new products immediately, so you can pick it up the same day that it would normally start shipping from a retailer or Apple itself.

Course, in some places tax is greater than others. Fortunately, Mass only has about 5% tax, which isn't too bad.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
It's Better To Barter

I second the comments of someone who said not to settle for what they are "asking" for. In this economy, it's just plain dumb to pay full price for anything over $1000.

No one pay sticker for a car that starts at $1,200 - so why settle for the same with a computer??

I got CompUSA to take $300 off my G4 533. It only took going into the store and asking the manager. They know you can buy it from ANYONE for sticker... they want you buying it from THEM*

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
when I got my mac...

when I got my G4 I priced out many configurations. the great thing about ording online is that offten you dont have to pay sales tax. when your spending as much as you are on a comuter... this adds up. I ended up taking the Apple student discont over no taxes. The discound basicly takes care of the taxes so its not that big of a savings but I didnt get to BTO. I didnt need a super drive at the time (now I wish I got it) and that saved me a cool $400.00. if you not going to build to order... i would order online. You can often get deals like free shipping, no sales tax, and free RAM upgrads or printers. There is something to say about walking in to a store and leaving with a New Mac... you get it that day and you dont have to worrie about damage as much (well.. i know guys that work at Best Buy.. what goes one in the back and on the dock would shock you).

I got mine in one pice and one time from Apple. and you know dam well that I was at the Fedex tracking site every 30 min to see the statis of my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.