Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPØØK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2020
I’m looking to buy a Mac that I can use to backup my phone, nothing further beside browsing the internet and backing up my phone. I’ve been using my 2019 MacBook Pro but these backups have taken up plenty of space that I’ve since purged.

I’ve been looking at either Mac Pros or Mac Minis, maybe even a Mac Desktop. As long as it can be upgraded to Big Sur / Monterey and has a 1 or 2 TB SSD I’ll be content.

What do you suggest I purchase?

SPØØK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2020
Keep using your 2019 MacBook Pro, buy an external hard drive and move your backups on it.
Thanks for the thoughts here. My only concern is storing a backup there and needing to restore my phone from one of those if I don’t have room on my Mac. The transfer time would take longer from the external hard drive.

I also use iMazing for my backups. There’s a feature I rely on which backs up my phone OTA that wouldn’t work if the external Drive isn’t plugged in. Any thoughts on this process?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.