Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cotylee1991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
North Carolina, US
long story short, I bought an iPad Air 32GB WiFi + Cellular (ATT Unlocked) on eBay from a very reputable company. I’m an avid eBay seller as well. I was so excited to get it, as it’s my first iPad I’ve ever owned. Upon getting it, it worked great. But when I put in an ATT and Verizon SIM card, it said this:

2708_B31_B-_C38_A-4_DB3-8016-6_DCAB26_DC26_D.jpg

9264_F58_A-_CED4-4_A93-_A8_BA-88_EB55_B07911.jpg

So, immediately I did an IMEI report. It came back blacklisted. I called Verizon, they said it wasn’t blacklisted by them, although they share the same blacklist reports from every carrier. I called ATT, and bingo, they removed it from the blacklist. I popped in my SIM card, and it worked for like 10 seconds before going back on the blacklist. I called, chatted, and called again. They started asking for the original account holders SSN, address, account number, etc., which I obviously don’t have. But, what’s really weird, is before it was removed for those 10 seconds, ATT’s IMEI checker said the device was not able to be used, but after it was added to the blacklist again it now says I can buy a sim for it, but it’s saying it’s an iPad Air 16GB and not a 32GB. Seems weird to me. But, it’s back to being blacklisted. I don’t HAVE to have cellular, but it’s part of the reason I bought it for my business and traveling. The seller is being sympathetic and offering a refund or exchange, I on the other hand have already started using the iPad and don’t really want to wait 2 weeks for a replacement. I’ve considered buying an IMEI cleaning and blacklist removal on eBay for $55, but I’ve also wondered how they can do that unless if they have inside sources that do it for them at low volumes but yet it’s so difficult for us the consumer to get something removed from blacklist when we buy something in good faith. My question is, am I going to get it trouble for having this in my possession if I decide to not return it? I don’t mind just using it for WiFi. And it was blacklisted over a year ago, so I don’t think this guy is going to track it down, because I honestly think he probably abused the insurance claim industry, filed it as stolen to get a free replacement, and sold the “stolen” one to a pawn shop to make a quick buck.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
long story short, I bought an iPad Air 32GB WiFi + Cellular (ATT Unlocked) on eBay from a very reputable company. I’m an avid eBay seller as well. I was so excited to get it, as it’s my first iPad I’ve ever owned. Upon getting it, it worked great. But when I put in an ATT and Verizon SIM card, it said this:

2708_B31_B-_C38_A-4_DB3-8016-6_DCAB26_DC26_D.jpg

9264_F58_A-_CED4-4_A93-_A8_BA-88_EB55_B07911.jpg

So, immediately I did an IMEI report. It came back blacklisted. I called Verizon, they said it wasn’t blacklisted by them, although they share the same blacklist reports from every carrier. I called ATT, and bingo, they removed it from the blacklist. I popped in my SIM card, and it worked for like 10 seconds before going back on the blacklist. I called, chatted, and called again. They started asking for the original account holders SSN, address, account number, etc., which I obviously don’t have. But, what’s really weird, is before it was removed for those 10 seconds, ATT’s IMEI checker said the device was not able to be used, but after it was added to the blacklist again it now says I can buy a sim for it, but it’s saying it’s an iPad Air 16GB and not a 32GB. Seems weird to me. But, it’s back to being blacklisted. I don’t HAVE to have cellular, but it’s part of the reason I bought it for my business and traveling. The seller is being sympathetic and offering a refund or exchange, I on the other hand have already started using the iPad and don’t really want to wait 2 weeks for a replacement. I’ve considered buying an IMEI cleaning and blacklist removal on eBay for $55, but I’ve also wondered how they can do that unless if they have inside sources that do it for them at low volumes but yet it’s so difficult for us the consumer to get something removed from blacklist when we buy something in good faith. My question is, am I going to get it trouble for having this in my possession if I decide to not return it? I don’t mind just using it for WiFi. And it was blacklisted over a year ago, so I don’t think this guy is going to track it down, because I honestly think he probably abused the insurance claim industry, filed it as stolen to get a free replacement, and sold the “stolen” one to a pawn shop to make a quick buck.

Not sure about USA laws but here in the UK its known as 'handling stolen goods.' which is a criminal offence.
I'm sure the USA has the same laws.
I recommend contacting ebay crime unit and they will advice way forward, money back claim etc.

But 100% don't keep it.

sheareb

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2009
blacklisted seems to mean its lost/stolen or the original purchaser didn't pay network bills?

I would return and get money back or a replacement - why take the chance its stolen and limit the functionality you will have?

Last edited:

cotylee1991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
North Carolina, US
I appreciate your all’s advice. I just got off the phone with eBay and they opened an internal investigation against the seller and I should know within 24 hours of the result. They told me to not report it to the police or send the item back until their investigation is finished for me to get my refund.

I’m kind of up in Air about my theory of what happened with it. On one hand, I feel bad for the seller because I feel that it was an honest mistake and it wasn’t checked thoroughly because with how long it’s been blacklisted makes me think it was a side against an insurance claim and said person sold it to the shop who sold it to me, because AT&T told me that the account owner terminated service after reporting it stolen. But I’m the other hand, I have to protect myself from suspicious activity like this. 2 weeks of waiting is better than 2+ years in jail for receiving stolen property if it genuinely is lost with an owner searching for their device.

In the end, I have to protect myself. I’m sure (hoping) eBay will turn in my favor and protect me for this purchase.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I am sort of surprised that you are wrestling with the fact you may have received stolen property, but your impatience with having to wait two weeks and your concern about covering your ass has taken precedence over doing the right thing. You whine about having to wait two weeks, but did you consider the person the iPad may have been stolen from had to wait a lot longer to buy a new one?

cotylee1991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
North Carolina, US
I am sort of surprised that you are wrestling with the fact you may have received stolen property, but your impatience with having to wait two weeks has taken precedence over doing the right thing. You whine about having to wait two weeks, but did you consider the person the iPad may have been stolen from had to wait a lot longer to buy a new one?

Definitely not whining about having to wait 2 weeks. It’s the inconvience of the fact they listed the IMEI as clean and I relied on truth of word for a device to use with my business and travels, and needed one as soon as possible. Now, if the device being reported as stolen was a mistake, then that’s the only way I would consider keeping it, if the original owner was going to own up to it being falsely reported and have AT&T fix the issue. But since I never heard back from the seller, I made the choice to peruse a case against them.

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
Definitely not whining about having to wait 2 weeks. It’s the inconvience of the fact they listed the IMEI as clean and I relied on truth of word for a device to use with my business and travels, and needed one as soon as possible. Now, if the device being reported as stolen was a mistake, then that’s the only way I would consider keeping it, if the original owner was going to own up to it being falsely reported and have AT&T fix the issue. But since I never heard back from the seller, I made the choice to peruse a case against them.

Who says the report is falsely reported?

Reactions: RevTEG

cotylee1991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
North Carolina, US
Who says the report is falsely reported?

”Now, if the device being reported as stolen was a mistake, then that’s the only way I would consider keeping it, if the original owner was going to own up to it being falsely reported and have AT&T fix the issue.” A big IF. Most people on here are more judgmental than actually helping with a simple answer, but instead manipulate a post and assume. My god.

cotylee1991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
North Carolina, US
Ebay has much better buyer protection...

Yeah, they do. I sell a lot on eBay and sometimes the eBay Buyer Peotection gets out of hand. Even if an item doesn’t qualify for returns, a buyer can file a claim for “item not as described” even if the listing describes it perfectly and nothing is wrong with the item, and eBay will give you back your money. It’s a good thing, but also a bad thing all at the same time.

Reactions: SigEp265

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
”Now, if the device being reported as stolen was a mistake, then that’s the only way I would consider keeping it, if the original owner was going to own up to it being falsely reported and have AT&T fix the issue.” A big IF. Most people on here are more judgmental than actually helping with a simple answer, but instead manipulate a post and assume. My god.

How am I manipulating your post or assuming?

A device is not accidentally reported stolen. Are you kidding? The IMEI is blacklisted. It's stolen goods. You need to turn it over to the police and let them know where you got it from.

You already started a case with eBay to get your money back. Count your blessings that you can get your money back. The fact is you still have the iPad in your possession.

What advice where you looking for? You're talking about "I’ve considered buying an IMEI cleaning and blacklist removal on eBay for $55" in your first post. You where not expecting us to help in the crime?

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Not sure about USA laws but here in the UK its known as 'handling stolen goods.' which is a criminal offence.
I'm sure the USA has the same laws.
I recommend contacting ebay crime unit and they will advice way forward, money back claim etc.

But 100% don't keep it.

We have those laws as well. It would also be a felony of receiving stolen goods due to the price of the iPad.

Reactions: baypharm and deany

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I appreciate your all’s advice. I just got off the phone with eBay and they opened an internal investigation against the seller and I should know within 24 hours of the result. They told me to not report it to the police or send the item back until their investigation is finished for me to get my refund.

I’m kind of up in Air about my theory of what happened with it. On one hand, I feel bad for the seller because I feel that it was an honest mistake and it wasn’t checked thoroughly because with how long it’s been blacklisted makes me think it was a side against an insurance claim and said person sold it to the shop who sold it to me, because AT&T told me that the account owner terminated service after reporting it stolen. But I’m the other hand, I have to protect myself from suspicious activity like this. 2 weeks of waiting is better than 2+ years in jail for receiving stolen property if it genuinely is lost with an owner searching for their device.

In the end, I have to protect myself. I’m sure (hoping) eBay will turn in my favor and protect me for this purchase.

next time by on swappa not ebay if you are looking for a ipad and you will not run in too this kind of issue

Reactions: baypharm

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Yeah, they do. I sell a lot on eBay and sometimes the eBay Buyer Peotection gets out of hand. Even if an item doesn’t qualify for returns, a buyer can file a claim for “item not as described” even if the listing describes it perfectly and nothing is wrong with the item, and eBay will give you back your money. It’s a good thing, but also a bad thing all at the same time.

So you are saying a buyer can commit fraud against a seller and get their money refunded? I see no good in that at all. Ebay is the digital equivalent of the anti-christ in my opinion, including Paypal
[doublepost=1508190761][/doublepost]
What is a "an IMEI cleaning and blacklist removal on eBay"??

More fraud.

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
So you are saying a buyer can commit fraud against a seller and get their money refunded? I see no good in that at all. Ebay is the digital equivalent of the anti-christ in my opinion, including Paypal

You can’t get your money back if the item is as described. However item description is paramount. I’ve returned items to sellers that where not the condition described. However I have never ripped anyone off.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I hope this works out well for the OP. Sucks.

One thing I have to say - Ive always HATED laws that punish the buyer of stolen goods when in many cases the buyer has no real way to verify if something is stolen or not. I mean, how the hell do you know? Do you have to call every local law agency and check? Why does the buyer of the item get punished but somehow the *actual* theif ends up getting away? I dunno.... just never though this made any sense. If I buy something used or on eBay and it ends up being stolen and I had no easy way to find out ahead of time, I aint handing over to the cops and "eating" my losses. :(

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
First, do not worry. It's illegal to purchase or poses a stolen property knowingly. You are a victim of a crime and not a perpetrator. I would not worry at all.

Contact eBay and make a claim with them, as you have already done. Return it. Let them handle it.

Reactions: Raist3001

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
One lesson we can all learn from this- make them send you a picture of the imei and verify it personally before purchasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.