Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rexriddim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Seems to me that if you buy a MBP in April of 2016 you can reasonably expect it to have been built up based on this year's specs. At the same time now, I don't know how much of a bump in technology there's been from 2015 to 2016. But anyway, imagine my surprise when I saw in the specs that this machine I just plunked down a bunch of cash (well, actually I got on the installment plan LOL) was built a year and a half ago.

I'm a little miffed. Am I right in being so? Anything anyone can share on this would be great.

Ali

PS: unit was purchased at the Apple Store in Tyson's Corner, VA

matt_on_a_mtn

Suspended
Mar 25, 2016
Seems to me that if you buy a MBP in April of 2016 you can reasonably expect it to have been built up based on this year's specs. At the same time now, I don't know how much of a bump in technology there's been from 2015 to 2016. But anyway, imagine my surprise when I saw in the specs that this machine I just plunked down a bunch of cash (well, actually I got on the installment plan LOL) was built a year and a half ago.

I'm a little miffed. Am I right in being so? Anything anyone can share on this would be great.

Ali

You absolutely are not right in being "miffed". It's widely known that Apple generally refreshes product lines every year or so. Current generation MacBook Pros are 2015. That's their model, and what's being sold everywhere until a 2016 model is unveiled.

Your problem is that you didn't research your purchase prior to making it. That's all on you - not on Apple. If you aren't happy with the current model, return it and wait for the new one.

Reactions: ABC5S

nicovh

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2015
Nederland
The next event where apple will announce the new and updated MacBook Pro's will most likely be at WWDC, June 13th.

You could return the 13" you purchased and wait for the new model. The updated rMBP will have lower power consumption (better battery), much much better iGPU (greater graphical performance), Thunderbolt 3, and the exterior design will most likely take cues from the 12" MacBook. Better speakers, new keyboard (probably with more key travel), color options, metal hinge, smaller bezels around the screen etc.

It will be a great machine, but yours isnt bad either. You could future-proof yourself, by buying the upcoming rMBP, for when USB-C becomes the new standard.

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
There is no early or mid 2016 13" rMBP available at the moment. Yes, you're buying the same model that was released in March 2015.

Reactions: ABC5S

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Ali

As above it's the current model.

The new CPUs have a minor increase in GPU performance (well, significant, but still "integrated" class) and a minor increase in battery efficiency. The spec is clearly listed on Apple's web site, the box, etc.

If you feel ripped off, return it. It's still probably faster (mostly due to the smoking fast SSD, 6-7x faster than the one in my Surface Pro 4), with better battery life than almost any 13" PC laptop you can buy today.

In general use, my 13" Pro's performance smokes the hell out of my work Surface Pro 4.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
As others have mentioned, that's just the way it is, and you have no reason, really, to feel cheated. Companies don't introduce new models every other week.

As another note, your actual physical machine was most likely built far more recently than "a year and a half ago" even though the model dates from March 2015.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Seems to me that if you buy a MBP in April of 2016 you can reasonably expect it to have been built up based on this year's specs.
That's an unreasonable expectation. As a consumer, it behooves you to educate yourself of the product you'll be buying. That's one reason why we have the buyer's guide here which states don't buy as the refresh is imminent
2016-05-02_6-15-34.png

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
You indicate that it was "built a year and a half ago", well we don't know if that is true or not; your model was "Released" in Mid-2015, but you need to look on your computer to see when it was actually built.

Just like a car, it may be a 2016 model year, but it could have been built in 2015, or 2016.

Hope this helps you understand a little better.
m

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.