Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
there are some Samsung, Dell and other manufactures s that have thunderbolt or other non HDMI support at a good price.
just research some more and hopefully someone will dire ct yo auto a better monitor buy.

what Mac min mini?

Windows Expat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
there are some Samsung, Dell and other manufactures s that have thunderbolt or other non HDMI support at a good price.
just research some more and hopefully someone will dire ct yo auto a better monitor buy.

what Mac min mini?
So that LG is not a good choice? Because it is currently on it's way to my house lol.

As is this Mini: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1753609-REG/apple_mac_mini_applecare.html

Also, should I not use the HDMI connection? Again, this is all new to me. Because iMac.

Windows Expat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
What type of content are you using your monitor/system for? Photo/Video editing, productivity, gaming, etc?

Yes, photo editing.

Most of my high-end stuff goes to a retoucher, so I don't need super duper quality. Just something roughly on par with what I've had on the iMac to do culling, basic color work, etc.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Yes, photo editing.

Most of my high-end stuff goes to a retoucher, so I don't need super duper quality. Just something roughly on par with what I've had on the iMac to do culling, basic color work, etc.
I think this LG monitor will be fine for you judging by the specs. I have had LG monitors in the past and they were pretty good quality. You won't be able to really tell until you view some content on it in person and if you don't like it that's what returns/exchanges are for.

Reactions: Windows Expat

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
You'll notice the lower resolution coming from a 5K iMac but the panels in those were made by LG so you're not switching companies as far as the panel tech is concerned. When it comes time to upgrade my wife's iMac (bought the last model of the 5K Intel iMacs and stuffed it to the gills with RAM) I think we'll be looking at a Mac Studio + Studio Display, unless someone comes out with a better 5K+ monitor option.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
That gives me hope. Thanks!
I went from a 2015 iMac 5K to a mini M2 16GB/512GB. I have a external ssd for all my photos/videos and all my photoshop and illustrator files. You'll hear a lot of people say that you need a mini pro or studio etc etc but coming from a 2015 iMac chances are any of those are more than you need.

I do extensive design work in photoshop and illustrator and I do a lot of photography work in Lightroom. I can run all applications at the same time without any issues.

I have two monitors a BenQ PD2705U (27" 4K) and a AOC U32P2CA (32" 4K). The BenQ I specifically got for its color accuracy and it is a fabulous monitor especially for the price.

There are of course better monitors at a higher price if you are a professional photographer and your livelihood depends on the quality of your images.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
So that LG is not a good choice? Because it is currently on it's way to my house lol.

As is this Mini: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1753609-REG/apple_mac_mini_applecare.html

Also, should I not use the HDMI connection? Again, this is all new to me. Because iMac.
Use the HDMI if a display will connect that way; that way you do not waste any other port on display connection.

Since you already bought it do not ask us if it works for you. It is your eyes/brain that look at the display all day, so make up your own mind. I am not being sarcastic; we all have our eyes/brains trained differently.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I went from a 2015 iMac 5K to a mini M2 16GB/512GB. I have a external ssd for all my photos/videos and all my photoshop and illustrator files. You'll hear a lot of people say that you need a mini pro or studio etc etc but coming from a 2015 iMac chances are any of those are more than you need.

I do extensive design work in photoshop and illustrator and I do a lot of photography work in Lightroom. I can run all applications at the same time without any issues.

I have two monitors a BenQ PD2705U (27" 4K) and a AOC U32P2CA (32" 4K). The BenQ I specifically got for its color accuracy and it is a fabulous monitor especially for the price.

There are of course better monitors at a higher price if you are a professional photographer and your livelihood depends on the quality of your images.
No disrespect intended, but FYI the 16 GB RAM you chose is limiting the performance available from your Mini. The MacOS memory management will make it work of course, but you are hamstringing performance by your choice of only 16 GB RAM. The limiting effect will increase over time.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Use the HDMI if a display will connect that way; that way you do not waste any other port on display connection.

Since you already bought it do not ask us if it works for you. It is your eyes/brain that look at the display all day, so make up your own mind. I am not being sarcastic; we all have our eyes/brains trained differently.
When it comes to colour accuracy you can’t actually trust your eyes. You need a colorimeter.

I use a pair of BenQ SW271’s. The SW272 has just been released. For colour accuracy they have a built in 3D LUT for hardware calibration. That’s something I would always look for in a monitor above everything else.
Uniformity is another important factor.

Eizo is probably the best for photography, but the premium price is expensive.
But for that you do get a 5 year warranty over the 3 year of the BenQ (in the UK at least).
Their CG models have a built in colorimeter. But I prefer using a separate one (currently a Calibrite Pro).

Whatever monitor you buy, the colours drift overtime.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.