Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Has anyone purchased (physically) from China a new iPhone? Is it really worth it?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Has anyone purchased (physically) from China a new iPhone? Is it really worth it?

It kinda depends on where you are geographically located otherwise. I'd personally question the value and rationale of purchasing any device direct from China that's not through a reputable supplier chain unless you're resident in the Peoples Republic.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
So I can make a cheaper purchase!
You'd have to check compatibility. For example, list of LTE frequencies may overlap but not be exactly the same. Plus, you may have to pay import duties. I purchased in China because of long-term work/residency. I'd have preferred to buy it at home. Model numbers and specifications are listed on the Apple website.

Reactions: TiggrToo

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I don't understand the LTE frequency thing nor the model numbers and specifications!

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
I don't understand the LTE frequency thing nor the model numbers and specifications!
Go to this page here, and navigate down to Wireless and Cellular. Take a note of the LTE bands. Then go to the China apple store and make the comparison. Differences may not be crucial but you'd need to research further. My SE bought here in China worked fine in UK last time I was home.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Don’t forget that your consumer protection laws in many European countries work with the buyer and seller of a product, not the manufacturer. Please don’t expect any similar treatment if you purchase goods in other parts of the world. Anything outside the one year manufacturer’s warranty you’ll have no consumer law to assist you.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The short answer is not worth it. Not to mention the stripped down iOS with weird feature sets that are probably not working out well outside China.

Reactions: rugmankc

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I wouldn't. The level of censorship they require will likely limit the ability to fully utilize iOS.

I’m not sure the device would differ in any measurable way when taken out of China and activated with a non-Chinese SIM and Apple ID. Have you come across any information that suggests the device will suffer from limitations?

Reactions: nnoble

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I’m not sure the device would differ in any measurable way when taken out of China and activated with a non-Chinese SIM and Apple ID. Have you come across any information that suggests the device will suffer from limitations?
Honestly I'm just being cautious with my thoughts on that.

Really, there is no good way to save on an Apple iPhone aside from buying used, a sale, or previous years models.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
It might be built into the firmware. I know in the past I had a phone die on me while I was in the middle of a couple months in Asia, I bought a used one as a replacement which happened to originally be from Korea. Apparently in Korea they require it to be impossible to turn off the camera shutter noise and that restriction stuck with it even when activated with a US SIM card.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There's so much misinformation here, it's ridiculous.

One of the benefits is obviously saving on the VAT. The other benefit is the guaranteed Qualcomm modem as Chinese consumers are more educated in terms of specs. After the iPhone 7 debacle with Intel and Qualcomm, Apple sells only Qualcomm iPhone 8 and X units in China.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.