Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mparkes

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Spangle, WA
Okay, can someone explain the difference between the three routes for purchasing a macbook pro, as regards any problems with the unit?

1) Buy from Apple online. This appears to be a safe bet in that Apple can ship a replacement unit if there are problems from the beginning. At some point (after 14 days?) you would have to send back to apple for repair?

2) Buy from an Apple store. Apparently if you buy from an Apple store, you have to physically take the computer back to THAT store if you have problems - or take it to an authorized repair center. But you can't send back to apple? (My nearest apple store is 4 hours so will probably not be going this route, however if the store allows you to "check" the unit before you walk out with it it might be worth the drive - I am thinking of the yellow screen issue :)

3) Buy from a authorized retailer. Are you at the mercy of an authorized service center for problems, or can these be sent back to apple?

I am just trying to figure out the best way to purchase to minimize any potential hassle, and learn from the experiences of others here.

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
No matter where you buy it, you can take it to any Apple Authorized Service Center...So buy it wherever you want. And buy AppleCare, for 3-years protection..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.