Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wally Jarratt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
I have always paid for all my iPhones outright and never financed my iPhone. I have also been with ATT for more than 20 years and purchased ATT sim iPhones. Now I want to start purchasing UNLOCKED iPhones started with the iPhone 13. However my question is that I have not switched carriers yet and I'm still with ATT...so is there preferences to how orders are filled based on carrier or unlocked phones?

In other words, by ordering an UNLOCKED phone...will my order take longer?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have always paid for all my iPhones outright and never financed my iPhone. I have also been with ATT for more than 20 years and purchased ATT sim iPhones. Now I want to start purchasing UNLOCKED iPhones started with the iPhone 13. However my question is that I have not switched carriers yet and I'm still with ATT...so is there preferences to how orders are filled based on carrier or unlocked phones?

In other words, by ordering an UNLOCKED phone...will my order take longer?

Buy the phone directly from Apple. All iPhones bought full price (or via iPhone Upgrade Program or via AppleCard installment) from Apple are unlocked regardless of what SIM they ship with. No delays or anything. Just first come, first served.

Wally Jarratt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Thanks...I actually do buy all of the phones through Apple, but in the past it was always an ATT enabled iPhone. Thank you for your information.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks...I actually do buy all of the phones through Apple, but in the past it was always an ATT enabled iPhone. Thank you for your information.

If so, then your current phones are likely unlocked already. :p

Can't remember when they started the policy but at the very least, it was in place when they started the iUP.

Reactions: Wally Jarratt

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
As I know, iPhoens purchased directly from Apple, if paid in full without contract, are unlocked already regardless of the carrier version you chose. If you are unsure, just get the unlocked/SIM free version. Since you'll be paying in full, no point in buying the carrier versions.

The reason I said this is I have heard AT&T being sleazy. I believe they even lock iPad eSIM's to AT&T if you activate with them, which is ridiculous as iPads are not supposed to be carrier locked.

Reactions: Wally Jarratt

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The reason I said this is I have heard AT&T being sleazy. I believe they even lock iPad eSIM's to AT&T if you activate with them, which is ridiculous as iPads are not supposed to be carrier locked.

Nah. They only lock the eSIM on iPads that were purchased from AT&T. Maybe the ones purchased on carrier installment from Best Buy, etc as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.