Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knightazura

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
Hi guys,

Just switched many years ago from PC (Windows/Linux user) to Mac for the first time, and i go for the new 13" MBPr 2016 TB (base model).
There some much stuff that I should learned about mac environment, and I want ask about "Purgeable space" on this new macOS.

I've search about this, and seems like it's the new feature that known on macOS Sierra. When I've uninstall application or deleted some files, it was marked as purgeable. Not free space. My recent conclusion after some research is it was Optimized Storage feature.

Anyone know how to remove that??

Here my search result about it.
1. Disable local Time Machine backup feature, using sudo tmutil disablelocal. Source here. Look for answer from HevvyD
2. With create smaller partition to delete that. Source here
3. Disable Optimized Storage feature

I've already try no.3, but still no luck.

runner77

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2016
Berlin
Why would you want to remove it? This is space that Apple can upload into the cloud in case you run out of space. So it is actually taken by real files, but Apple can move these files into the cloud if you ever run out of space. You must have activated that option at some point.

knightazura

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
Do you have any files under the Documents and Desktop option for iCloud storage?

Yes I have. But purgeable space is far bigger than any files under the Documents and Desktop folder for iCloud Storage.
Any advise?

Why would you want to remove it? This is space that Apple can upload into the cloud in case you run out of space. So it is actually taken by real files, but Apple can move these files into the cloud if you ever run out of space. You must have activated that option at some point.

Because I afraid, it will eat my storage on the future. You know, there some user face this issue that caused they can't install / or that purgeable space to save files on local machine.
I don't think so, because my plan for iCloud storage was free lol. On theory, it just take max.5GB right?
And then that purgeable space have odd movement. When I uninstalled apps or empty trash, its going bigger!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.