Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavyaz19

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Does push e-mail only work with mobileme? Or will I be able to use it with my yahoo web-based e-mail account too?

gazzer82

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
No it will not, unless you forward your mail on from yahoo (which i don't think you can do). If you have IMAP access you could setup push via IMAP, but again i don't think yahoo supports that.

pavyaz19

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2008
some of you are saying yes, and some of you are saying know. does anyone know for sure?

gazzer82

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Actually i stand corrected, bit of a brain fart!! I read and wrote yahoo and heard google mail!!

It does indeed seem to work with push and the iPhone, which is very cool!!

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
100% it works

I recently switched my email to a Yahoo account for this exact reason.......switching was a hassle with all my contacts but having push email to the iPhone was well worth it......works flawlessly for me. Just google "yahoo mail for iPhone" and you will find a page that lets you set it up in a few very simple steps. Works GREAT!

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Apple must have a deal with Gmail/AOL/Yahoo

They have setup for all those mail accounts, and they are all PUSHED to your iphone. This is not something you can do with any other phone on the market today, especially Yahoo. Yahoo charges extra for POP3 access to your email, so I guess Apple must have made a deal with them to offer it for free through the iphone.

Waterpolo820

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
How are you guys getting Yahoo Mail to work for the iPhone? When ever I enter the my info I get an error message, something like, "the username or password for imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com is wrong. And I'm am sure that I have entered them right cause I checked it like 100000 times!!
BTW I have a basic email account. Not Mail Plus..

Thanks in advance

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
How are you guys getting Yahoo Mail to work for the iPhone? When ever I enter the my info I get an error message, something like, "the username or password for imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com is wrong. And I'm am sure that I have entered them right cause I checked it like 100000 times!!
BTW I have a basic email account. Not Mail Plus..

Thanks in advance

You may want to delete you Yahoo Account on the Phone and re-add it. You also may want to search for YAHOO PUSH. Many trheads on the subject. But normally it is quite easy. Just select Yahoo Email as the Account. Don't need to change anything.

niccodeamus

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
i have a BTYahoo account, i assume it has the same functions as a Yahoo account.
My question is, if the above assumption is correct, can i set the account to push to apple mail? At the moment i have to wait for the desktop to fetch it, but if MobileMe can push to a desk, can Yahoo?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.