Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sultanoflondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Hi all,

I have an iPhone running iOS 9 and I have set "Fetch New Data" in Mail settings to Push.

I believe this means that as soon as an unread email enters my inbox, my iPhone should download that message and add one to the red bubble hovering in the top right hand corner of the Mail app icon?

However, with this setting on, and my iPhone connected to the internet permanently, it does not do this. It used to do this, but not anymore. Now, when I open the Mail app, it simply refreshes the connection and updates the inboxes, including downloading any new unread emails, if any.

I have tried rebooting the iPhone, to no avail.

Could someone point me in the right direction to restart the automatic download of emails from the server?

Thank you!

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Hi all,

I have an iPhone running iOS 9 and I have set "Fetch New Data" in Mail settings to Push.

I believe this means that as soon as an unread email enters my inbox, my iPhone should download that message and add one to the red bubble hovering in the top right hand corner of the Mail app icon?

However, with this setting on, and my iPhone connected to the internet permanently, it does not do this. It used to do this, but not anymore. Now, when I open the Mail app, it simply refreshes the connection and updates the inboxes, including downloading any new unread emails, if any.

Could someone point me in the right direction to restart the automatic download of emails from the server?

Thank you!

your understanding of fetch and push is wrong. google and read up on it yourself.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
ok firstly, on the screen where you have enabled the Push switch, make sure each provider below is set to Push where there is that option. That's just a base starting point.

Next, I can tell you that even if Gmail lets you select Push, Gmail doesn't support it, so it will be defaulting to the Fetch schedule which you can set up at the bottom of that screen. Read the help text with that.

Yahoo, I don't know.

Outlook I am pretty sure supports push, so def make sure you have that one set to push.

Other than that, I'm not sure other than trying to set up the accounts again.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
I use yahoo mail, exchange/outlook, and Apple(iCloud) and all of these are having problems with push right now. They were fine a couple of days ago but now sketchy at best on iPhone 6 and brand new iPad Pro. Not sure what the problem is but I have tried literally everything at least on the iPad.

Oh to be specific for some: Yahoo, Exchange(Microsoft/work), Apple(iCloud) ARE my email providers.

Last edited:

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Same here. Apple iCloud mail appears to come through in a barrage. Push mail is broken in 9.3 and 9.3.1 hasn't helped.

SunnySharma__

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2015
I have push configured for Yahoo and its working fine for me. Google doesnt support push so its a fetch everytime.
iPhone 6 iOS 9.3.1

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
Hi all,

Thank you!

For some reason resetting network settings does this job better than a reboot for me. This issue can come back up after syncing for me. Try a reset of network settings and avoid syncing and see if it improves (is my suggestion).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.