Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josephkyles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I am a mobile me subscriber, but I use Gmail for my Email. Is there anyway I can get my Gmail to push? The Push concept is a little vague to me.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
You could have your Gmail mail forwarded to your mobile me, but that's a pain (because then you can only respond from your mobile me address, leaving your recipients very confused).

rioja

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
The only way I can think of is to forward your gmail to your me.com address.

Gmail forwards as soon as the email comes in.

Josephkyles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I want to stay with Gmail, Is it that Gmail doesn't provide push Email or is it apple that doesn't provide push support for Gmail, could Push email from Gmail be in the works??

rioja

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
I want to stay with Gmail, Is it that Gmail doesn't provide push Email or is it apple that doesn't provide push support for Gmail, could Push email from Gmail be in the works??

Whether Gmail provides it or not has been under debate on the forums for awhile. I think Apple has to enable it (but I could be wrong) because Gmail has push for Helio phones.

You never know... they may come out with an app for the appstore that does it.

View

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2007
No, only way is to forward it through mobile me.. and if you do it that way, when you reply it doesn't come from your gmail address..

Actually, that problem existed prior to the 2.0!
I just actually found that out. If you forwarded it to MobileMe account (and also have Gmail set up on your iphone) you can select the "from" field. It lets you select which account on the phone you want to sent the mail from.

But, you have to do that every time you replay an email...

cantankerously

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Just set up a IMAP on your gmail account then set up the phone as "other" using googles IMAP information.

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville
Easy.

1. Forward GMAIL to MobileMe.

2. Use GMAIL as your SMTP server on your phone & mac.

The result will be you will receive push e-mail and you will send e-mail as your GMAIL or GMAIL Domains e-mail address.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
What's the real advantage over an IMAP Gmail setup that checks every 15 minutes?

That way IMAP keeps what you've read/deleted/starred/etc in sync with gmail.

unr1

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
with IMAP it seems like it syncs every 5 minutes

wish it was every minute :eek:

dangleheart

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Advantage of push is it is more or less immediate and it is much less drain on battery if you get emails only infrequently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.