Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeev

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
Plugged it in at 7%.

Usage: 6 Hours, 14 minutes
Standby: 12 hours, 49 minutes

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I've been using push email/contacts/calendar on my iPhones since it was available on the very first iPhone and no, it does not kill the battery.

The only thing out of push/3G/location services/wifi/bluetooth that has actually killed my battery is bluetooth. I don't use it anyways so I just turn that off.

I get at least 1.5 days standby with all of the above on except bluetooth on my 3G S.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
uberamd, how long have you had the phone? Your phone battery sounds like it's in crazy good shape.

I have had it since the launch of the 3GS. Mind you these were similar figures I saw with my 3G also. I am 21, so as you can imagine I do a lot of texting, email, gameplay, and what not throughout the day. All 3 of my iPhones (2G, 3G, 3GS) have had phenomenal battery life thats why I get blown away by people who claim their battery is dead after 15 minutes of use.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Got my iPhone 3GS on launch and just signed up for MobileMe yesterday. Last night I left my phone to charge, so by the time I woke up, the iPhone had a full 100% charge. I listened to music for about an hour at the gym (I don't have data so it couldn't have even used MobileMe at this time). I then browsed the web for about half an hour to an hour on it at home. During this time, I was connected to wifi and push was on. It's been a couple of hours since then and I've left it on sleep and it's gotten about 10 emails and I'm at 20% battery life! What do you guys think the reason is for the huge battery decline?

Push is not the culprit as I use that on my phone daily for work. Being a new phone and the battery not having many recycles yet, the meter probably was not reading correctly. Playing Music period on your phone over wifi or 3g will drain hard on your battery. Also Location services will drain your battery quick. Stop using those and your phone will last all day without a problem.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Well I can now testify to the fact that push does in fact kill my battery and it's not the phone itself. Yesterday, used the iPhone very lightly just occasionally texting or listening to music. Maybe about an hour talk time. It died after about 5 hours. Today, with push notifications turned off, I used it to watch videos off Youtube, browse the web, listen to music, text multiple times, and talked on the phone for about half an hour, and it's at 71% battery life.

My settings were and still are: 3G off, Bluetooth off, Location Services off. All I did was turn off mail notifications and my battery life is dramatically longer.

Like I said, I have push on, I get about 30-40 emails a day at work on Exchange, and about 30 on both the other email accounts, I also have my GMAIL and yahoo accounts imap being pulled with my phone, and I still have over 3/4 battery life left at the end of the day and using my phone during that time. Sorry to say, it is not PUSH.

I do notice TEXTing however does seem to drain the battery quick if you start doing that a lot.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Push is not the culprit as I use that on my phone daily for work. Being a new phone and the battery not having many recycles yet, the meter probably was not reading correctly. Playing Music period on your phone over wifi or 3g will drain hard on your battery. Also Location services will drain your battery quick. Stop using those and your phone will last all day without a problem.

Thats an interesting point. How many people used their phones for music listening via 3G or Wifi before they got their iPhone? If you never used your phone for that in the past, you can't really blame the iPhone for having a 'shorter' battery than you would like because the other phones you are benching the iPhone against were not used in the same way.

Just my thoughts anyway.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I suggest the best way to determine if Push is causing a problem is to charge your battery to 100% before going to bed and clear your status. Then when you wake up check you standby and usage. Your phone should be < 5% usage over a 8 hour period. If so, do you feel that having Push turned on for 8 hours is worth < 5% or not.

I have noticeD sometimes that my battery is down a lot over night (very seldom). When this happens I just re-boot the phone and all is well until it happens again.

Cravendale

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
UK
My 3GS also has pretty shocking battery life.

To be fair Ive noticed it seems to charge really quick however that doesnt mean alot if its going to drain quick.

I can take my phone off charge at 100%, walk down stairs, check a few things on the internet (using wifi) for literally 5 minutes and it will already be sitting at 96%. Even changing settings and stuff for a minute or two and it will drop 1-2%. Seem to get about just under 4 hours usage before it hits 20%...

My 2G was much better than this...

pumpkinhead

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2007
My 3GS battery timings

Like many other people, I have been a bit dismayed to find the battery life of my new 3GS to be substantially less than my treasured 2G. I've been keeping fairly accurate timings when the battery hits the 10% warning, since purchased on release day:

Standby hrs / Use hrs
-------------- Purchase
20 / 2:00
21 / 4:00
19 / 4:15
24 / 3:34
26 / 4:00 *17%
21 / 3:43
------------- full restore recomm. by Apple support
21 / 4:26
------------- push off, fetch 30mins
34 / 5:33
22 / 3:46 (v bad coverage area)

*This measurements were taken before getting to 10% battery warning, to the numbers specified.

My usage pattern is what I'd classify as "light". About 50% of the use time is playing music with the regular iPod app, the rest on the web (50/50 WiFi and 3G). Not really any CPU-sapping 3D gaming or the like.

So my takeways are that I too felt like battery performance improved over the first few charge cycles charges. This gels with stuff I have read about lithium-polymar batterys that work best when "the electrons are kept moving", i.e. they actually benefit from light use (although it ads to the death-march cycle-count). It had been in a box in China unused for the last 2 months probably.

Although I am only on my first cycle with push off, I am seeing about 30% longer life. And my usage was a bit heavier this cycle with less music.

Now here's where the conspiracy starts. I use push for Google calendars and contacts only, through the official Google activesync implementation. Previously I was using Nuevasync for push Google calendars and contacts on my 2G, and I did not notice any decrease in battery life when I first switched to it a few months ago.

I am wondering if Google's implementation of activesync, for either the calendars and/or contacts is way too "chatty", perhaps pushing contact info for every piece of mail I get or something? I plan to do more testing with push enabled for just one of those services to see.

I had originally planned to return my 3GS for replacement by today, it's 14-day anniversary, but it looks like I won't get to it, so I think I will hold on and do some more testing. I'd hate to have to put another bloody invisi-shield on the new one...

Cheers

Cravendale

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
UK
Update -

Standby 11 hours

Usage - 2 hours 30 minutes

Battery is @ 34%

Something must be wrong??

nightfly

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
Update -

Standby 11 hours

Usage - 2 hours 30 minutes

Battery is @ 34%

Something must be wrong??

Well to be honest, it really depends on what r u doin within that 2 hours and 30 mins... if within that period u played intense 3d gaming eg real racing, i think its very good already...

Edit

Opps just realised that this is an old thread

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Like many other people, I have been a bit dismayed to find the battery life of my new 3GS to be substantially less than my treasured 2G. I've been keeping fairly accurate timings when the battery hits the 10% warning, since purchased on release day:

Standby hrs / Use hrs
-------------- Purchase
20 / 2:00
21 / 4:00
19 / 4:15
24 / 3:34
26 / 4:00 *17%
21 / 3:43
------------- full restore recomm. by Apple support
21 / 4:26
------------- push off, fetch 30mins
34 / 5:33
22 / 3:46 (v bad coverage area)

*This measurements were taken before getting to 10% battery warning, to the numbers specified.

My usage pattern is what I'd classify as "light". About 50% of the use time is playing music with the regular iPod app, the rest on the web (50/50 WiFi and 3G). Not really any CPU-sapping 3D gaming or the like.

So my takeways are that I too felt like battery performance improved over the first few charge cycles charges. This gels with stuff I have read about lithium-polymar batterys that work best when "the electrons are kept moving", i.e. they actually benefit from light use (although it ads to the death-march cycle-count). It had been in a box in China unused for the last 2 months probably.

Although I am only on my first cycle with push off, I am seeing about 30% longer life. And my usage was a bit heavier this cycle with less music.

Now here's where the conspiracy starts. I use push for Google calendars and contacts only, through the official Google activesync implementation. Previously I was using Nuevasync for push Google calendars and contacts on my 2G, and I did not notice any decrease in battery life when I first switched to it a few months ago.

I am wondering if Google's implementation of activesync, for either the calendars and/or contacts is way too "chatty", perhaps pushing contact info for every piece of mail I get or something? I plan to do more testing with push enabled for just one of those services to see.

I had originally planned to return my 3GS for replacement by today, it's 14-day anniversary, but it looks like I won't get to it, so I think I will hold on and do some more testing. I'd hate to have to put another bloody invisi-shield on the new one...

Cheers

Do remember that 3G is harder on the battery than EDGE, so if you want comparable comparisons turn 3G off and see how much worse your 3GS is.

nashirosuki

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
usage: 2 hours (game, wifi, edge occasionally)
standby: 1day, 12 hours = 36 hours

and still 54% left.

must turn edge on only when necessary. but only possible in jailbroken one. The existence of data IP address means there's a live connection all the time to the internet. Sometimes this IP is still on even when i turn off edge, then have to turn to flight mode on and off, then the data IP is gone, and battery is ok again.

hope this helps, guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.