Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yyairr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2015
Hi

I'm am making an app that uses both local and external (not sure what is the correct term) push notifications.

The notifications only appear on the notifications drawer (and doesn't even make a sound if the app is currently running on the foreground), which makes them pretty unnoticeable for the user.

How can I customize a push notification layout? Can I get it as a pop-up instead of in the Notification Bar? (similar to how a new message pops on the screen when received).

Please tell me what shell I do.

Thanks ahead for your attention and time.

Yair

JWalker1995

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
This is controlled by the users device settings, not by the developer.

Also notifications are designed to not be shown while the user has that app open

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
If you want to show notifications while the app is open, it is up to you to catch them and receive them, then show something to your user via your application's delegate. This gives you the opportunity to customize how the user receives the action - e.g., an alert pop up, a window change, banner notification, etc

However, if the app is not opened, the iOS notification settings will route the incoming notification to the users expectations, which is out of your control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.