Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gimbal

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2018
That setting doesn’t mean exactly what you think it means.

Websites can’t detect that setting. It’s to prevent Safari from ever triggering the native permission dialog. We can’t detect it.

The dialog we show is a javascript dialog that isn’t the actual push permission dialog. It’s intended to be a one time dialog, which I understand might bother you. If you don’t want to see it ever again on any site, I linked instructions how to block it at a network level.

arn
Exactly - you are using something to get around the user preference... the "actual push permission dialog"... I repeat again, you should consider being less aggressive, and use an "opt-IN" button on the page, instead of forcing a dialog to choose opt-in or opt-out. I simply don't understand what is gained by forcing it, all I know is that it's annoying, undesirable, and the only way to stop it is to stop visiting. I don't see linked instructions to block at a network level... which I wouldn't bother with anyway. I'll just stop visiting. Thanks.

Peter Maurer

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
The dialog we show is a javascript dialog that isn’t the actual push permission dialog.
+1 for pushing whoever is responsible for that dialog to switch to the native dialog. Said native dialog, along with the corresponding preference, exist for a reason. The current behavior feels similar to iOS games circumventing the (fairly new) native "rate us on the app store" dialog and the restrictions that come with it.

I understand you're a OneSignal customer, so technically, it's on them to solve the problem. But in terms of user experience, it's still MacRumors that ends up looking bad: I have made a choice in my preferences, and MacRumors is the only site in all of my bookmarks that circumvents my choice by ditching the native mechanism in favor of the JavaScript thing, presumably because of cross-platform reasons.

This isn't a huge inconvenience — personally, I quickly got used to clicking away that dialog along with the "we value your privacy" layer. It's just a little annoying. Or perhaps it can be put this way: Visiting macrumors.com now comes with a little more friction than it used to.

But it might be useful for you to know that there are regular readers like me who encounter that dialog pretty much every day. And it seems a little odd for a site that has "Mac" in its name and at its core to ignore native solutions.

(A cookie won't help me. Unless I'm posting on the forums, I usually browse MacRumors without being logged in. And I clear my history/cookies somewhat regularly for a mixture of historic and technical reasons.)

Last edited:

mintier

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
+1 MacRumors was so much fresher before they added this 1 simple popup trick on every single page load.

Will not be disabling privacy extensions; will give it a week to retrain years of muscle memory, then redirect the domain somewhere else I guess.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
A funny thing is I'm having the reverse problem. In Safari on Mavericks I can't get MacRumours to raise the prompt asking for my acceptance to receive push notifications. When visiting the page I see this.

View attachment 879918

Needless to say, I tested with Ad-Blocker and extensions off – to no avail.

Can you tell me what version of Safari?

arn

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
A funny thing is I'm having the reverse problem. In Safari on Mavericks I can't get MacRumours to raise the prompt asking for my acceptance to receive push notifications. When visiting the page I see this.

View attachment 879918

Needless to say, I tested with Ad-Blocker and extensions off – to no avail.
I'm having the exact same issue with Safari 13.0.4 on a MacBook Pro.
Come to think of it, I haven't seen MR notifications in a while now… Maybe since the switch to Catalina?

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I'm having the exact same issue with Safari 13.0.4 on a MacBook Pro.
Come to think of it, I haven't seen MR notifications in a while now… Maybe since the switch to Catalina?

Since I also run High Sierra from time to time, MR push notifications with the exact same version of Safari work as expected. I did notice, however, that even in Safari 13 some sites do not push at all while in Safari 9 (Mavericks) they do (such as AppleInsider, thefreedictionary). This is strange. In Safari 9 others offer push notifications (I see the pull-down window) however they don't send any (reddit, Facebook, messenger, affinity forums, gab) while even in Safari 13 most of them don't even show the prompt.
I assume push notifications servers' maintenance is cost-inefficient for the sites' owners and is not updated, hence is the reason why it works in Mavericks but doesn't in newer versions. I specially went to the sites that were claimed to support push notifications to Mac: NewYork Times, Washington Post, a bunch of others – no one did prompt me to accept receiving them.
Looks like push notification for Mac is not welcome option for the majority of sites.

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It looks like OneSignal does not support safari 9. Apparently the api changed after safari 9 and they don’t feel it’s worth supporting. Sorry.

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
Yep, that should work. You having problems?

Yep, see #32 .
Stuck on loading.
Image 2019-12-31 at 1.59.21 PM.png

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I never accept notifications so I don't know how they work.

The implementation might be too simple for some users in dealing with consecutive posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.