Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
California
Alright, so I just bought my Aluminimac a while ago (about a month). Iv'e poked around the web, but I haven't found any good free 3d games to really push my mac. One of the reasons I got the upper 20" was for the graphics card, but so far it's been a waste of $300. Does anyone know of any good free 3d games to try out?

Before someone says by Battlefield or Madden or something keep in mind, I just got this thing. I will say I'v found a good 2 game, EV Nova, which I'm currently flying a Vell-os Arrow in :D.

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
probably the easiest way....

probably the best way to test it is to install xp or vista on bootcamp, on like a 30-40 gb partition, i set mine to 60gb on my 500gb hard drive, and then download a demo of something like bioshock, or battlefield, and then just turn the settings way up. If you are a college student it should be really easy because your school should have copies of vista or xp for real real cheap. As far as mac 3d games go, I don't really know. There is Prey, Call of Duty 2, they are both fairly higher graphics, but still nothing demanding. hopefully ea will release a demo of 2142 or carbon or something for the mac. so people can try it out first. maybe Guitar Hero 3 will be an ok test for it when it comes out next month. probably not demanding either, but fun nonetheless. I have rally shift for my mac, which is 3d, but their intel version is still a little glitchy, and they haven't put out a patch for it yet, i think they gave up on patching it, hopefully they have a rally shift 2 in the works :D well. thats about all of my 2¢.

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Alright, so I just bought my Aluminimac a while ago (about a month). Iv'e poked around the web, but I haven't found any good free 3d games to really push my mac. One of the reasons I got the upper 20" was for the graphics card, but so far it's been a waste of $300. Does anyone know of any good free 3d games to try out?

Before someone says by Battlefield or Madden or something keep in mind, I just got this thing. I will say I'v found a good 2 game, EV Nova, which I'm currently flying a Vell-os Arrow in :D.

EV Nova was awesome. I had played the other games in the series before it and loved them. When I saw EV Nova at a MacWorld Expo, I bought it right there.

Played through all the mission strings at least once.

It's worth the money... pay to register it. Although it might not be obvious (at least, it wasn't obvious to me with the other games in the series), you will not be able to continue certain mission strings until you register. It's not obvious because you simply don't see the missions being offered to you... there's no message saying "register to receive next mission..." the mission is just never offered. So register or you won't be able to finish any mission strings (including vellos)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.