Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quahog

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
There has been some discussion on this subject-- but it all seems old and some conflicts. I apologize if theres another relevant thread.

My employer provides my iPhone (XS Max backordered :) I am trying to decide which watch to buy myself. I am upgrading from a Series 2 (GPS Only). I dont want to buy the cellular version if I wont be able to use it.

Can I pay the $10/month for cellular service and use numbersync with AT&T separately, outside of the business account? Is anyone currently doing this? I am actually the administrator for the business account, and I see the options in Premier to block/allow the watch, but I cant have work pay for the service on the watch (I'm thankful for the phone... except when it rings)

Thank you!

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
No. The cellular plan on the watch must go on the plan attached to the iPhone. I am in the same boat with AT&T.

This is what I get when I try. You’d have to work with your company to workout another arrangement.

82a10d0044388edcaa47d62fe63ff850.png

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Can't believe the carriers don't have a work around for this yet. Been over a year and they should have figured something out by now. Crazy!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can't believe the carriers don't have a work around for this yet. Been over a year and they should have figured something out by now. Crazy!
Well its an extension of the phone, is it not? I mean it has its own cellular radio but when I call the phone number it has to be routed to the phone or watch. I don't know if they can do that if they don't have the phone on the same plan

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Agree, but they need to figure out how a person can pay the 10 monthly fee on their own, so the celluar watch will work with the iPhone on a business account. That is the real issue. Should not be that hard to figure out.

FlyingScot

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
South Florida
My company just added the option for pooled data on wearables - Apple Watch only. No choice but to have them pay, but at least an option. Agree - carriers need to find a way to allow separate service on same number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.