Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Google will find it by itself. If you're really antsy, you can submit a request to google, but it's a waste of time IMO.

You won't get a high ranking for your first year online, and you won't ascend to a high ranking even then if people don't link to you often.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Also, last I checked, Google and other search engines can't search inside Flash files for text. So, the only thing they see on your page is the HTML, in your case really only the stuff in your <title>. You can try putting some keywords in, which will help some, but has been abused a lot in the past so not all search engines weight them very heavily in their results.

You're pretty much stuck relying on people linking to you to get Google to rank you decently on your name.

adroit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Victoria, BC
Ummm.... get other people to link you is pretty hard to do. But I'll try my best. Thankyou for your help :)

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Google doesn't spider images. Good luck w/ that. Your best shot is meta tags and comments. Thats why it's always good to have a combo of both.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
androit...

pretty nice flash site... are you right out of school?

I might be crazy, but if you are willing to publish in flash 8, i believe it now supports search engine listing... so somehow google can get at the text in the .swf file. go take a browse through the complete list of changes on macromedia's site... you can also do a landing page in html. i know it sucks, but if you can at least get a few descriptive words on there it will help you out.

again, nice site, good sense of motion and flash animation. i saw a few problems with fonts running outsite the frame, i think some may be reading from the device...

good luck, and PM me if i can be of any more help.
technocoy

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
the font issue..

is ont he resume page... where it says "click here..." it's in giant green serif type, and it runs off the page completely.

hope that helps.

technocoy

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Cool site.

One tip -- if you're going to put your resume online, make sure you spell it correctly. You can leave out the accents, but if you put them in, both e's get an accent, like this:

résumé

Also, one way to get "people" to link to your site is to put it in your own .sig file in forums such as Macrumors ;)

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
wordmunger said:
Also, one way to get "people" to link to your site is to put it in your own .sig file in forums such as Macrumors ;)

This works REALLY well actually. Normally when I check my website logs MR is the number 1 referal.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
ChicoWeb said:
Google doesn't spider images. Good luck w/ that. Your best shot is meta tags and comments. Thats why it's always good to have a combo of both.

What is the html syntax for meta tags and comments? I've seen them in source code but never entirely figured out how to do it myself.

adroit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Victoria, BC
technocoy said:
pretty nice flash site... are you right out of school?

I might be crazy, but if you are willing to publish in flash 8, i believe it now supports search engine listing... so somehow google can get at the text in the .swf file. go take a browse through the complete list of changes on macromedia's site... you can also do a landing page in html. i know it sucks, but if you can at least get a few descriptive words on there it will help you out.

again, nice site, good sense of motion and flash animation. i saw a few problems with fonts running outsite the frame, i think some may be reading from the device...

good luck, and PM me if i can be of any more help.
technocoy

I'm actually still in school, right now I'm in 3rd year Electrical Engineering :p

I'll look into a possibility of publish it in flash 8, but that might have to wait.

As for the text running out of the page (on my resume) it actually look fine in my computer so I didn't realized that it does that but I will fix it as soon as I get home (I am using the computer at school right now).

Thank you everyone for helping, and please let me know if there is any other problem(s) or if there is anything I can do to improve the website. Since I am still quite new to web design every comments are appreciate.

By the way, I just got a job offer today for a co-op position as a UI designer. Today is my happy day. :D

adroit

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
IJ Reilly said:
What is the html syntax for meta tags and comments? I've seen them in source code but never entirely figured out how to do it myself.

It's pretty straightforward. Take the tags for this site:
Code:
<meta name="keywords" content="mac rumors,mac,macintosh,vbulletin,forum,bbs,discussion,jelsoft,bulletin board, apple, jobs, steve, newton, powerbook, ibook, powermac, g5, g6, g7, powerpc, ppc" />
<meta name="description" content="Mac News and Rumors Discussion Forums" />

All <meta> tags have to go inside the <head> tag in order for the HTML to validate and with XHTML, you need to close the <meta> tags with the "/" at the end.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Rower_CPU said:
It's pretty straightforward. Take the tags for this site:
Code:
<meta name="keywords" content="mac rumors,mac,macintosh,vbulletin,forum,bbs,discussion,jelsoft,bulletin board, apple, jobs, steve, newton, powerbook, ibook, powermac, g5, g6, g7, powerpc, ppc" />
<meta name="description" content="Mac News and Rumors Discussion Forums" />

All <meta> tags have to go inside the <head> tag in order for the HTML to validate and with XHTML, you need to close the <meta> tags with the "/" at the end.

Great, thanks -- now, what's the difference between keywords and description, as far as the search engines are concerned?

(BTW, I did catch the reference to the g6 and g7 :) )

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
IJ Reilly said:
Great, thanks -- now, what's the difference between keywords and description, as far as the search engines are concerned?

(BTW, I did catch the reference to the g6 and g7 :) )

I think it varies quite a bit from engine to engine - lots ignore them completely due to their heavy abuse a few years ago as the web took off. In my understanding keywords roughly translate to search terms. The description could be displayed alongside the link to your site in the results list, if the engine so chose.

Gotta love the g6, g7 references - arn was definitely planning ahead. ;)

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
MontyZ said:
You can request that Google spider your site here:

http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl

But, as mentioned already, it won't do much good because there's nothing there to spider. You need to add a bunch of meta tags with info.

This is why 100% Flash sites are not a very good idea if you want traffic from search engines. If you want to use Flash, use it sparingly for the interface elements, but, not the whole site. Nice site, tho!

Bingo. Even still, Meta tags aren't that useful anymore.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
IJ Reilly said:
So what's the solution for getting a flash site indexed in the search engines? Hidden text?

That's pretty frowned upon, too - I'm pretty sure Google and some others ignore it.

Like I said before, without people linking to your site in significant numbers, it's going to be difficult. You could go also with an HTML front page with some relevant info and then link into the flash site, but that's not ideal either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.