Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vannote

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2003
NYC
I am currently in the market for a PVR. It is currently coming down to either the Elgato EyeTV 200 or a Plextor ConvertX PX-TV402U.

I am having trouble finding in-depth reviews/testimonials on the Plextor unit or reviews that actually pitch these two against each other.

Does someone here have a PX-TV402U that would like to comment?

I will be hooking it up to a new PM G5, so the USB 2 (Plextor) vs. the FW400 (Elgato) these units offer doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Any thoughts, comments, recommendations?

Thanks

quidire

macrumors 6502
I asked Elgato about this, here is their reply:

Subject: Re: Elgato Systems
Date: January 9, 2005 3:04:31 PM EST
To: [Me]

Rahul,

Thank you for contacting Elgato Systems.

All EyeTV products, and Plextor's new ConvertX, use the same software. Future software updates will support all products.

EyeTV 200 and the ConvertX both support MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding, at up to 720 by 480 resolution.

EyeTV 200 comes with a remote; the ConvertX does not.

EyeTV 200 uses FireWire; the ConvertX only USB 2.0. Both types of connection can handle full quality video.

EyeTV 200 doesn't need a power adapter; the ConvertX requires one.

EyeTV 200 arguably uses slightly higher quality components (tuner, compression chip) so discriminating users might notice a difference.

Besides that, they are comparable products. We will support both with new software now and in the future.

Nick Freeman
Elgato Systems Customer Support

ProCon

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2005
a little help needed

I picked up a PC version of the ConvertX and now am a little stuck-- it's too late to return, and I can't buy a software license from EyeTV. I don't want to waste a $200 piece of hardware, because I can't get the software.

If anybody could get me out of this jam, I would gladly donate $20 his/her way or $45 to his/her favorite charity. You can drop me a line at: aprocon_at_yahoo

Thanks a lot.

nativetexan70

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2005
Elgato Registration Key

I am in the same boat as you. I purchased a ConvertX expecting I could use the version of EyeTV I have from my EyeTV 500 with the unit. I contacted both Elgato and Plextor to purchase an activation key, but neither had a process to sell one or plans to do so in the near future.

The Elgato response? "We recommend you purchase the Mac Bundle."

Riiiight.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
nativetexan70 said:
I am in the same boat as you. I purchased a ConvertX expecting I could use the version of EyeTV I have from my EyeTV 500 with the unit. I contacted both Elgato and Plextor to purchase an activation key, but neither had a process to sell one or plans to do so in the near future.

The Elgato response? "We recommend you purchase the Mac Bundle."

Riiiight.

I was under impression that it's same EyeTV software for all of the devices. So if you have working EyeTV on one machine is should support ConvertX?

Anyway, back to original question by vannote:

I have Plextor ConvertX and I am very happy with it. Use it on Mac and PC as well. That's main advantage over EyeTV. It terms of picture quality, it's very good.

However EyeTV 500 is HDTV compatible and still does not have broadcast flag DRM implemented so it might not be a bad idea for someone living in USA to get it before June 1, 2005.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.