Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
I feel like I might be going slightly mad here...

I got an iPhone 14, and almost immediately put a screen protector on. I very quickly started getting eye strain and mild headaches using it. After a while I read somewhere that someone thought screen protectors could make it worse so I took it off and after a while I "got used" to the phone, no more headaches. Today I thought this is silly, how can a screen protector cause this, and I got a new one applied to the phone. And almost immediately the eye strain is back?

I genuinely don't see how this is even possible?!

Has anyone experienced this?

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
I feel like I might be going slightly mad here...

I got an iPhone 14, and almost immediately put a screen protector on. I very quickly started getting eye strain and mild headaches using it. After a while I read somewhere that someone thought screen protectors could make it worse so I took it off and after a while I "got used" to the phone, no more headaches. Today I thought this is silly, how can a screen protector cause this, and I got a new one applied to the phone. And almost immediately the eye strain is back?

I genuinely don't see how this is even possible?!

Has anyone experienced this?
I have. Not sure if it has anything to do with PWM but seems to be exclusive to OLED for me. Too many reflections. My solution was a glass anti glare matte screen protector.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
Hmm maybe you’re right and it’s the reflections…

I’ll give it a bit to make sure it’s not just coincidence then I guess I’ll have to try what you did!

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
Yeah I gave up and removed it yesterday and now no eye strain or headaches. Just annoyed I spent so much money on two screen protectors I can’t use

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Just posting here to validate your observations. As I previously posted, the clear glossy screen protectors were no good for me on OLED screens. I've never thought to use anything else until combing the forums and hearing of some other people complaining about that. I thought I found a good solution with a matte screen protector. Indeed, it was loads better but still slightly bothered me, plus the clarity sucked on white screens. So, yesterday I took off the screen protector entirely, and used it naked.

Hands-down, my best experience to date.

Again, I'm not even speculating that this has much to do directly with PWM. Whether it's PWM, temporal dithering, or reflections leading to increased motion sickness, I have no idea.

All I know is not running any screen protector for me has been the absolute best experience I have encountered to date.

Of course I'm going to get AppleCare for my 14 but I know it won't cover scratches. I'll have to deal with any OCD about the potential for screen scratches and just be careful.

But there's no way I'm going to use an OLED screen phone with a screen protector again unless they change something in the manufacturing process.

All that said, fingers crossed, as I have definitely spoke too soon before :)

Last edited:

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
Just posted to say, I tried again with the 15 Plus but again using a screen protector gives me immediate eye ache? I realise it was probably stupid to try again when the screens are the same technology but I Just don't understand why clear screen protectors do this to me on OLED screens?!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Son of a biscuit! I read this thread almost two hours ago and thought: wait, what?, ah why not. I pulled my 15 Pro Max out of its box. Fortunately I hadn’t wiped it yet, pulled the perfectly applied Spigen screen protector off, started reading posts, composed one of my own…almost two hours later and while I can’t say I’m completely unbothered, I’m better than I was.

I’m still not planning on keeping this phone. I think I would have more comfort on a regular 15 or 15 Plus. I’ll be taking a look at them next week. But at least now I have an option.

If I’m going without a screen protector then I’ll be getting a less expensive iPhone. And probably the smaller one and not thinking of keeping it pristine for trade in. Who knows, I may let the phone go naked. Using the iPhone 15 Pro Max without anything on it is really a treat.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Nice discovery!

I've never had PWM headaches, and I've always used a screen protector. But between this thread and the one where screen protectors seem to maybe impact touches on the keyboard, I guess I'm going naked on the screen for awhile this time around. Makes me cringe a little even with AppleCare+ because I hate micro scratches, but usually I use a case.

Might do 2 weeks without one, and then pop on a cheapy one I got with a case last week and see if it gets worse.

My husband's still getting a screen protector. He drops his phone at least once a month (case on) -- never broken the screen but has broken lots of protectors :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
This is a very interesting topic indeed. While I never was bothered by PWM this topic might help a bunch of people.

My wife and I decided for the 15’s to not use a screen protector, first time in about 9 years.

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
These OLED screens seem to have different reasons why they irritate and cause people pain. PWM is certainly one of the reasons and probably the biggest one. But I just feel like there's other things going on with Apple's OLED screens as well. For me, I never got headaches. I got nausea and dizziness, those were exacerbated by promotion and glossy screen protectors. Which is why I settled on the regular iPhone 14 without a screen protector, and found usability.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
For those who don’t know...
If you use a case that has a finger loop in it, (Loopy Case) it’s guaranteed you’ll never drop an iPhone ever again.
Soooooo no screen protector needed.

uiterlix

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2016
Most likely a poor quality screen protector. I started out with a really cheap one which slightly blurred the display. After switching to a clear quality screen protector my issues were gone.

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Most likely a poor quality screen protector. I started out with a really cheap one which slightly blurred the display. After switching to a clear quality screen protector my issues were gone.
Unfortunately, that has not been my experience. I've spent a whole bunch of money trying all kinds of pricey screen protectors.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
For those who don’t know...
If you use a case that has a finger loop in it, (Loopy Case) it’s guaranteed you’ll never drop an iPhone ever again.
Soooooo no screen protector needed.
For me it’s not that I drop phones but the screen protector keeps the display from getting scratched up in my purse.

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Essex

It happened to me on a £35 one from the Apple Store, I’d hope that was decent quality! I honestly don’t understand the mechanics behind it and I still can’t 100% rule out some kind of placebo effect

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It happened to me on a £35 one from the Apple Store, I’d hope that was decent quality! I honestly don’t understand the mechanics behind it and I still can’t 100% rule out some kind of placebo effect
lol thanks for saving me money! But I’m sorry it worked out that way for you. I was wondering if one of the ones from the Apple Store would work out but they’re so expensive I didn’t want to try.

The Spigen I took off of my phone we beautifully clear. I just don’t get it, either.

mattwestside

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
Son of a biscuit! I read this thread almost two hours ago and thought: wait, what?, ah why not. I pulled my 15 Pro Max out of its box. Fortunately I hadn’t wiped it yet, pulled the perfectly applied Spigen screen protector off, started reading posts, composed one of my own…almost two hours later and while I can’t say I’m completely unbothered, I’m better than I was.

I’m still not planning on keeping this phone. I think I would have more comfort on a regular 15 or 15 Plus. I’ll be taking a look at them next week. But at least now I have an option.

If I’m going without a screen protector then I’ll be getting a less expensive iPhone. And probably the smaller one and not thinking of keeping it pristine for trade in. Who knows, I may let the phone go naked. Using the iPhone 15 Pro Max without anything on it is really a treat.

I’m in the same boat. All set to swap my 15PM for a 15+ due to eye strain from (perceived) PWM. I removed my screen protector to get it ready to go back. Started reading content and…no eye strain. Wild. Going to try it for another day or two. Glad I found this thread!

Reactions: arenaa

arenaa

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2024
I’m in the same boat. All set to swap my 15PM for a 15+ due to eye strain from (perceived) PWM. I removed my screen protector to get it ready to go back. Started reading content and…no eye strain. Wild. Going to try it for another day or two. Glad I found this thread!
Hey! How is your eyes? Do you use your 15+? Any experience would be cool! Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.