Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Samsung has pwm and no, samsung did not fix the issue. Tested s10 and note10 - headache as hell... unfortunately, pwm sensitive people are left behind by all big players

I was going to say maybe it is something to do with Samsung panels, but then realized, OnePlus 7 Pro uses a Samsung panel
Or maybe it uses a newer Samsung panel that handles DC Dimming better than previous panels that would not? I guess only Samsung and OnePlus would know.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
There is a way around PWM. Turn display brightness above 50%. Then in low light turn ON “Reduced White Point”.

Add Reduced White Point to your accessibility shortcut. This way you can triple click power button whenever you want to turn on that in low light environment.

By doing that no more PWN.
At anything less than 100% there is PWM. You can do the same trick you suggested here but leave it at 100% instead of 50% and that should be fine. But then your battery life may suffer since it would be at full brightness all the time.

If you refer to the Notebookcheck PWM video it shows that there is PWM below 100%.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-iPhone-XS-Smartphone-Review.333546.0.html

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
There is a way around PWM. Turn display brightness above 50%. Then in low light turn ON “Reduced White Point”.

Add Reduced White Point to your accessibility shortcut. This way you can triple click power button whenever you want to turn on that in low light environment.

By doing that no more PWN.

There is a 102 page thread that has suggested this ‘work-around’, and members subsequently de-bunked its effectiveness, repeatedly. It does not eliminate PWN on Apple OLED devices because Apple’s panels have PWN even at 99% brightness. Your recommendation sounds much like this article that went viral in the community but does not solve iPhone issues.
https://blog.elcomsoft.com/2018/03/...to-stop-oled-flickering-in-just-three-clicks/

daviddcmd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Samsung has pwm and no, samsung did not fix the issue. Tested s10 and note10 - headache as hell... unfortunately, pwm sensitive people are left behind by all big players

How did you test the Note 10? And Xs Max gave me a headache where the S10 plus does not.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
He's frustrated that Apple doesn't make an oled screen that works for him. Same issue for me. I've used a boatload of Android OLED phones with zero issues, but one weekend with my Max was enough to give me a splitting headache where I had to return it. It is a damn shame. Not only that, but the rumor is apple plans to eliminate all LCD models and go OLED only. Their pwm implementation is obviously different from the Android phones I have used.
I’ve played around with galaxy’s before but never owned an OLED screen device prior to the max. And other than colors being exaggerated on Samsung’s, I don’t notice a difference.
Only thing different I see between OLED iPhone and LCD iPhone is the color shift when tilting. But no headaches.

I honestly don’t see the hype with OLED.

Reactions: Tofupunch

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
I have skipped the X/XS because of PWM.

Tried the XR (twice) and is big and heavy...

Is there any technical chance that this year X has no PWM? For what I read here and in other sites, the PWM is not an OLED issue, so that´s a relief.

Crossing fingers!

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I have skipped the X/XS because of PWM.

Tried the XR (twice) and is big and heavy...

Is there any technical chance that this year X has no PWM? For what I read here and in other sites, the PWM is not an OLED issue, so that´s a relief.

Crossing fingers!
With my very limited knowledge I believe only chance to get rid of pwm is that apple will implement dc diming, but for now, there is no dc diming without color shifts, so not probable

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
May 10, 2016

travis64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2008
NEW YORK
I don’t get the point of these ‘I’m switching to android’ posts. Just switch and be done with it. But I guess you’re trying to stir something up?
Not really we want to stay bit we also rather stay and have apple fox the problem

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
I pre order the note 10+
Nervous i know andriod is not as good
Hopfully pwm is still not a issue with samsung notes
I returned my Samsung Note 10+ before the day was over lol. I wonder about the headache thing though. I have one right now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.