Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4PPC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
I downloaded the last version of Python for OS X 10.5 on a PowerPC, Python 2.7.14 but while installing it on my G4 it says, To use IDLE or other programs that use the Tkinter graphical user interface toolkit, you need to install a newer third-party version of the Tcl/Tk frameworks. So it gives a link to the website to get it but the version for OS X 10.5 or The PowerPC isn't available there anymore.

Does anyone know what version of Tcl/Tk I need to look for?
Or does anyone have the updated version that still works for PowerPC?

If you are unsure what I am referring to you can read about it here Tcl/Tk

I really want to use Python on my PowerPC with OS X 10.5.8 I tried the Python forums but for some reason I couldn't register while using InterWebPPC on my G4 and my brother has been on me for using more than one device hogging up all our bandwidth so I can't just switch computers because of a webpage not working. I'll probably just have to wait awhile and switch computers to try the Python forums again.

Edit: Never mind I found Python 3.4.0 RC2 and it installs with out needing such an update.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.