Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
hello,

I frequently see the terms tethered and untethered on jailbreak websites.
I will try to jailbreak my iphone4 ios 7x to ios 8x and not sure what these terms mean
and do to the phone.

thanks

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
hello,

I frequently see the terms tethered and untethered on jailbreak websites.
I will try to jailbreak my iphone4 ios 7x to ios 8x and not sure what these terms mean
and do to the phone.

thanks
A Tethered jailbreak means your device must be connected to a computer running the jailbreak software any time you wish to restart your device. The jailbreak software re-jailbreaks your device on boot. If you do not do this and reboot your device when using a tethered jailbreak it will not be jailbroken when it reboots and may perform poorly.

A Untethered jailbreak means that your device is jailbroken period and you way restart your device without having it connected to a computer running the jailbreak software.

There is a new categor as of iOS 9.2 and above labeled Semi-untethered A semi-untethered jailbreak means you can reboot any time you wish and don't have to be connected to a computer running jailbreak software, BUT you will be rebooted stock. To execute the jailbreak again you open an app that stays on your device. You have to do this each time you reboot.

As to your iPhone 4, you can't jailbreak it to go to iOS 8. iOS 7.1.1 is the highest version you can run and there is no method, jailbroken or otherwise that will get iOS 8 to install on an iPhone 4.

Reactions: MacManiac76

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
eyoungren, thanks for all info insofar ! honored :D

What i have not understood is:
I now have original ios7x.
If i add this program http://en.7.pangu.io/
does it allow me to upgrade to ios 8x or not ?

If not, what is the purpose of jailbreak then.

My problem on iphone 4, 16gb, is that i cannot add some apps i.e.
offline gps map, a simple camera without clicking sound, and some other free apps.

If i jailbreak it untethered, does it mean that after jailbreak, i can switch on/off etc my
mobile normally or not please ? If not, do i need an app on iphone everytime it restarts
to load the iOS if i understood well ?

What is the advantage of jailbreak this model to your experience?

thanks
basil

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
eyoungren, thanks for all info insofar ! honored :D

What i have not understood is:
I now have original ios7x.
If i add this program http://en.7.pangu.io/
does it allow me to upgrade to ios 8x or not ?

If not, what is the purpose of jailbreak then.

My problem on iphone 4, 16gb, is that i cannot add some apps i.e.
offline gps map, a simple camera without clicking sound, and some other free apps.

If i jailbreak it untethered, does it mean that after jailbreak, i can switch on/off etc my
mobile normally or not please ? If not, do i need an app on iphone everytime it restarts
to load the iOS if i understood well ?

What is the advantage of jailbreak this model to your experience?

thanks
basil
The link you show is for the jailbreak of iOS 7. But just because you can jailbreak it does not automatically follow that you can upgrade/downgrade to a firmware of your choice.

Furthermore, iOS 8 is NOT SUPPORTED on the iPhone 4. There is no jailbreak, no tweak, no app, no workaround, no ANYTHING that is going to allow you to install iOS 8 to an iPhone 4. It's never going to happen. You cannot do it.

So if YOUR only purpose for a jailbreak is to find some way to force iOS 8 on to your iPhone 4 then there is no reason for you to jailbreak. Because a jailbreak will not allow you to do this.

Jailbreaks before iOS 9.2 are untethered. This jailbreak is untethered.

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
The link you show is for the jailbreak of iOS 7. But just because you can jailbreak it does not automatically follow that you can upgrade/downgrade to a firmware of your choice.

Furthermore, iOS 8 is NOT SUPPORTED on the iPhone 4. There is no jailbreak, no tweak, no app, no workaround, no ANYTHING that is going to allow you to install iOS 8 to an iPhone 4. It's never going to happen. You cannot do it.

So if YOUR only purpose for a jailbreak is to find some way to force iOS 8 on to your iPhone 4 then there is no reason for you to jailbreak. Because a jailbreak will not allow you to do this.

Jailbreaks before iOS 9.2 are untethered. This jailbreak is untethered.

WOW ! Thats a lot of good info thanks ! I give up lol !
So goodbye to my ios8 compatible apps on iphone 4...

Why you jailbroken your phone if you dont mind asking. I try to find the advantages of doing so.

thanks again bro !

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
WOW ! Thats a lot of good info thanks ! I give up lol !
So goodbye to my ios8 compatible apps on iphone 4...

Why you jailbroken your phone if you dont mind asking. I try to find the advantages of doing so.

thanks again bro !
No problem.

The advantage for ME is that I get to make the UI the way I want it to look and function. That's why I jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.