Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you replace your buttefly-switch keys with an aftermarket keyboard if you could?

• Yes

• No

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.

spizer511

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
Seattle, WA
I did a quick search on the forums, so apologies if this has already been discussed and I missed it.

Has anyone heard of an aftermarket keyboard for the latest gen of Macbook Pros?

I wandered through the Apple store today and tried the 15in 2018 MBP and gotta say, *sigh*. Ignoring the love/hate folks have for the touchbar. I just can't stand how little depth there is to the butterfly-switch keys. It's not satisfying and the actuation is so minimal, that I could easily see myself mistyping by accident... A lot.

And probably by looking at a key too hard.

Just to be sure I wasn't miss-remembering the decent keyboard of old, I stepped over to a Macbook Air nearby and even then was reasonably satisfied with the keyboard experience. So, I gotta ask...

Does anyone know of an aftermarket replacement/hack for the built in butterfly-switch keyboard?

Please and thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, because my laptop is covered by a warranty and a repair program.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Does anyone know of an aftermarket replacement/hack for the built in butterfly-switch keyboard?

No, but the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard (MC184LL/A) that's the predecessor of the current Apple Magic Keyboard fits amazingly well over the top of the flat butterfly keys. That's how I originally used my MBP because I hated the keyboard so much.

I've since gotten used to it and rather like the keyboard so I don't do this anymore.

spizer511

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
Seattle, WA
No, but the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard (MC184LL/A) that's the predecessor of the current Apple Magic Keyboard fits amazingly well over the top of the flat butterfly keys. That's how I originally used my MBP because I hated the keyboard so much.

I've since gotten used to it and rather like the keyboard so I don't do this anymore.

I was pretty sure that would be the case for myself. Just get it, use it for a few months and get used to it. It's just fun to complain. And I like taking things apart.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I was pretty sure that would be the case for myself. Just get it, use it for a few months and get used to it. It's just fun to complain. And I like taking things apart.

There are also some less risky ways of "modding" your keyboard that you may want to consider. If you find the short throw of the keys to be fatiguing because you're always bottoming out very hard, you can put a dampening pad underneath the laptop so there's a bit less mechanical shock from hitting the keys. I actually do this with all of my keyboards when I'm using them on a desk. I have RSI and I find that I can't use any keyboard straight on a desk anymore so I put them on neoprene pads. The pads I use are actually giant full length wrist rests that I've repurposed as keyboard shock dampeners.

This approach is great for external keyboards, but for a laptop that dampening surface isn't going to be good for heat dissipaption so maybe you'll be better off just buying a simple lapdesk that you can place the laptop on while it's on a desk.
[doublepost=1532525462][/doublepost]

Yeah, but have you read the horror stories about how hard these things are to safely disassemble? Add to it that there's not even enough room for a sheet of heavy grade paper to fit between the keys and the screen when the MBP is closed and you're just asking for trouble. Assuming you could get a dampener to work on this type of switch, there's no telling if you'll be able to properly remount the keycap with even the smallest object added below it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.