Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rr23

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Hi everyone,

I’m in charge of QA and I’ve been tasked with manually testing our app, including compatibility with iOS 14. Work wants me to expense an iPhone. I need it to be jailbroken too because we want to be able to load and use different versions of our client apps.

My questions:

1. Do I have to buy a used iPhone running iOS 14 in order to jailbreak? - Is it possible instead to buy a new-in-box factory-sealed iPhone that comes with iOS 14 that won’t force me to update to iOS 15?

2. If I find an iPhone running iOS 14, is it possible to update it to a newer version of iOS 14? - Does it even matter? What iOS 14 version would you guys recommend?

3. Which iPhone would you guys recommend buying? - I’d like for it to be as new as possible. Budget is in the $400-500 range.

Thanks.

rr23

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Have you considered testing in the cloud https://www.browserstack.com/ios-testing
We do. We’ve been testing in Browserstack for a while and unfortunately it’s just not the same thing.

In our experience, Browserstack is awfully slow and unreliable. Leaves a lot to be desired. I can test virtually anything on a physical device in 1/5th the time in takes on Browserstack. Their support is also awful.

We prefer to test on physical devices.

Last edited:

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Hi everyone,

I’m in charge of QA and I’ve been tasked with manually testing our app, including compatibility with iOS 14. Work wants me to expense an iPhone. I need it to be jailbroken too because we want to be able to load and use different versions of our client apps.

My questions:

1. Do I have to buy a used iPhone running iOS 14 in order to jailbreak? - Is it possible instead to buy a new-in-box factory-sealed iPhone that comes with iOS 14 that won’t force me to update to iOS 15?

2. If I find an iPhone running iOS 14, is it possible to update it to a newer version of iOS 14? - Does it even matter? What iOS 14 version would you guys recommend?

3. Which iPhone would you guys recommend buying? - I’d like for it to be as new as possible. Budget is in the $400-500 range.

Thanks.

1. You can buy new from a carrier or 3rd party like Best Buy factory sealed. Apple don’t sell the 12 series anymore which shipped with iOS 14, until they start selling them refurbished if they do. Any other iPhone before the 12 series I’m not sure about if they’ll ship with iOS 14.

2. If you find an iPhone running iOS 14, you won’t be able to update to the last jailbreakable version since Apple isn’t signing it anymore. I’m still on iOS 14.1, so I don’t know which version of 14 was better.

3. Someone should be able to help answer this one.

Reactions: max2

rr23

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Thanks. I called Apple today and they verified that both iPhone 11 and 12 ship with iOS 14.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.