Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigmak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
So I drive a 2012 Yukon which has one USB port. When I plug into the USB and use waze and Apple Music it actually decreases my battery life. Does anyone know if I can charge using a qi charger using the cigarette is lighter and still plug in my lightening port to connect the audio (for iphone x coming soon). My car has Bluetooth but only for calling.
Thanks for any help and sorry if there is a similar question somewhere else.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Most older car USB ports charge very slowly, I believe around 500mW (versus 5W with the stock charger). But I highly doubt you could have it plugged in and using wireless charging, it would be one or the other.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
So I drive a 2012 Yukon which has one USB port. When I plug into the USB and use waze and Apple Music it actually decreases my battery life. Does anyone know if I can charge using a qi charger using the cigarette is lighter and still plug in my lightening port to connect the audio (for iphone x coming soon). My car has Bluetooth but only for calling.
Thanks for any help and sorry if there is a similar question somewhere else.

I've used Wireless Charging in the car with some Android phones in the past. If I recall last time I did this was with a Samsung Galaxy S5.

The problem is that standard QI wireless charging isn't very powerful or fast... So even if you have a cigarette lighter adapter that can adequately power your QI Charger (your built in USB port won't be able to)... you may not be able to use GPS and Stream music etc without losing charge.

The QI may simply not be able to keep up with heavy usage. But time will tell how this works out for the iPhones.

craigmak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
Thanks for the responses. When I get the X I’ll try a couple different things. Have a long road trip around Thanksgiving where I just don’t want a dead phone when we arrive.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Did you ever think to buy an old school lighter adapter to charge your phone? These work best, especially in your case (assuming your car has bluetooth streaming?)

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
That generation of GM full size trucks and SUV’s USB port is not a charging port. It’s for communication only. It wasn’t until 2014 GM trucks and 2015 full size SUV’s that the ports became charging ports.

dataiseverything

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2017
Hong Kong
Never encountered this situation before. One thing I think you need to clarify first is the input of the QI standard. Does it fit your car USB port? If so, maybe it's workable... but the charging rate may be slower since the phone is still considered as working during wireless charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.