Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
I recently swapped my drives and SSD into a brand new QNAP (TVS-872XT). The previous QNAP failed and would not power up. After transferring the SSDs I installed the firmware (4.5.4.1892), rebooted, and then installed all eight drives. Every program works with the exception of Final Cut Pro. If I move my library and launch FCP from any other external drive, I can open and use FCP. However, if I launch it from the QNAP/NAS I get the following error:

Unsupported volume type. Choose a local, SAN, or supported SMB location.

I've been using a TVS-872XT for almost two years and have never run into this error or problem. I spoke to Apple techincal support and they said this problem is coming from the NAS. To confirm the NAS is the problem, I copied the FCP library from the NAS to an external drive. Launched FCP and it worked. Then I copied the library back to the NAS, relaunched, but the error remains.

The only difference between the previous and new NASs is the firmware version. The previous NAS ran version 4.5.4.1800. I would have installed the same version, but it no longer appears on the QNAP download page.

I submitted a ticket to their technical support. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Configuration:
2019 Mac Pro
Connnected via TB3
macOS Big Sur V11.6

Lisse

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2017
Variable
I recently purchased a similar QNAP as a second NAS on our LAN. I was hoping to get it to work with an existing Netgear NAS so they could each back up one another daily using rsync. Unfortunately, I could never get it and the Netgear to work together well. I returned the QNAP.

Now, I'm having second thoughts and I actually like the QNAP in other ways.

Sorry, all beside the point. How are you connecting to the QNAP? Are you using the Thunderbolt port or the LAN connection?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Sounds like a QNAP firmware problem. Did you open a ticket with QNAP? I believe I've seen similar problems reported with other apps, don't recall a resolution besides returning the QNAP and using something different. Perhaps think about a more modern approach that doesn't manipulate the data like QNAP does. Revisit why a NAS solution is best for you.

Lisse

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2017
Variable
I wish I had "the answer", but unfortunately I don't.

Have you tried connecting to the QNAP over your LAN? That model may have a 10Gbps port? Not as fast as TB3 but it may still work fine for FCP. (In fact, 2.5Gbps or even 1Gbps might work.) Have you been able to get QNAP support?

I found that once I was able to get through to them they were helpful.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
I wish I had "the answer", but unfortunately I don't.

Have you tried connecting to the QNAP over your LAN? That model may have a 10Gbps port? Not as fast as TB3 but it may still work fine for FCP. (In fact, 2.5Gbps or even 1Gbps might work.) Have you been able to get QNAP support?

I found that once I was able to get through to them they were helpful.
I only used the LAN once. Haven't had any reason to do so, therefore I keep it connected via TB3.
QNAP is great. One of the primary reasons I continue buying their NASs.

Lisse

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2017
Variable
That's a pretty solid endorsement. Given that QNAP (and the other NAS vendors) put so much effort and money into making their devices function as flawlessly as possible on a LAN, using the box solely as a TB3 RAID storage device seems like overkill.

But, the bottom line for all tech is "Does it do what you want it to do?" and the fact that it checks all of your boxes says a lot about the QNAP and your satisfaction with it.

For me, if my current Netgear NAS finally dies, I think I'll revisit the QNAP. Thank you for the follow-up.

Reactions: Average Pro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.