Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
United States
QSpace was mentioned in the Best Finder alternative thread, and I don't want to derail that thread with a lot of specific questions/discussion specifically about QSpace. Anyone who wants to discuss or has questions about QSpace is welcome to comment here.

There's a ton of settings in Qspace - it's kind of overwhelming and could use more organization (and explanation in some case), though I love the customization. So my first question is:

I've installed on two computers. I've messed with the settings on both, so not sure if I did something I didn't mean to. On one computer, pressing the space bar gives me a preview of the file, just like in Finder. For example, pressing space bar on a jpeg shows the actual image, which is what I want. On the other computer, it just brings up a giant icon of file rather than actually showing the jpeg image. Did I accidentally change a setting to not show the contents of the preview file?

Last edited:

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I like to use tabs for my workspaces. In my list of workspaces, most have a little gray box next to them, while one has a white box. Selecting any of the ones with gray boxes goes to that tab. If I select the one with a white box, it opens the workspace in a new window rather than a tab. Anyone know how to change that behavior of a specific workspace?

Also... Something I'm finding really annoying is that every time I move a file from one window to another in a long list of files, it brings me back up to the top of the file list, so I then have to scroll all the way back down again.

Also... I'm noticing just a little lag in view regeneration. For instance, opening a folder in Forklift is instantaneous. Opening a folder in QSpace, and there's a 1 second lag.

Last edited:

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
On the other computer, it just brings up a giant icon of file rather than actually showing the jpeg image.

That's probably just the usual QuickLook bug. Restart the Mac, then it should work again. That's not related to QSpace.

Something I'm finding really annoying is that every time I move a file from one window to another in a long list of files, it brings me back up to the top of the file list, so I then have to scroll all the way back down again.

There is an option that's something like "Keep selected files in view", I think it's under "behavior". Maybe that helps.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
United States
That's probably just the usual QuickLook bug. Restart the Mac, then it should work again. That's not related to QSpace.

There is an option that's something like "Keep selected files in view", I think it's under "behavior". Maybe that helps.
Re Quick Look (preview), a restart didn't fix it, and it's behaving normally in Finder and Forklift.

There is an option under Behavior to "Keep selected items visible" - that's for "After changing the sorting". I'm referring to moving files from window to another.

Thank you for trying to help.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
There's usually not much need for rebooting the Mac for things such as dealing with QuickLook or other services- you can use this to reload quicklookd
Code:
qlmanage -r

I've been using QSpace Pro here on and off. It's a heavy program to use on an Intel Mac - on an ancient one like that of an i5 2015 model.

I want to enjoy using it as it has many things included, and the betas are good too.

There could be an application that takes over the previewing of those files you mention on one Mac vs the other if not completely identical in the setup.
For me, applications like Vectornator now Linearity Curve, does that - it shows a Sketch(bohemiancoding) file icon instead of the preview that the Sketch QuickLook plugin provides. And there's more applications that does this.
Perhaps look into that? See if you have an application that could potentially take over jpeg files. If just an issue in QSpace, then I don't know what the deal is. Check to see if Finder has the same issue

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
Re Quick Look (preview), a restart didn't fix it, and it's behaving normally in Finder and Forklift.

There is an option under Behavior to "Keep selected items visible" - that's for "After changing the sorting". I'm referring to moving files from window to another.

Thank you for trying to help.
ok that's weird. Does that QuickLook problem happen with any file? It could be that you don't have the user rights. But then Finder and Forklift would have the same problem, if you tried with the same files. I'm out of ideas for now. :/

Also that scrolling to top doesn't happen for me. That sounds more like a bug than a setting. What version of QSpace and macOS do you run?

I like to use tabs for my workspaces. In my list of workspaces, most have a little gray box next to them, while one has a white box. Selecting any of the ones with gray boxes goes to that tab. If I select the one with a white box, it opens the workspace in a new window rather than a tab. Anyone know how to change that behavior of a specific workspace?
The white box means you have that workspace open in a different window (or tab).
Green box means it's the workspace you are currently in, in that window.
And all the non-filled boxes mean it's a workspace that's not open currently.

Reactions: ixxx69

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
United States
ok that's weird. Does that QuickLook problem happen with any file? It could be that you don't have the user rights. But then Finder and Forklift would have the same problem, if you tried with the same files. I'm out of ideas for now. :/

Also that scrolling to top doesn't happen for me. That sounds more like a bug than a setting. What version of QSpace and macOS do you run?
I'm on Ventura 13.5.2 & QSpace 4.0.4. Problem installation is a M1 MBA while working installation is a 2018 mini also on same versions.

Yes, Quick Look works as expected with all viewable files in Finder and Forklift, and doesn't work with any viewable files in QSpace on one computer. On the other computer, it works as expected. QSpace has permissions set for full disk access. I don't know if there are any other security settings for QSpace in macos settings.

I tried resetting to default settings and that didn't help. I tried importing the settings from my mini to my MBA, and that didn't fix it. So you're right, it doesn't appear to be a setting, rather a bug somewhere.

I'd try a re-install but I'm on trial version and not sure if it will allow me to continue trial if I reinstall.

The white box means you have that workspace open in a different window (or tab).
Green box means it's the workspace you are currently in, in that window.
And all the non-filled boxes mean it's a workspace that's not open currently.
Thank you for the explanation of the box colors/meanings (BTW, it appears the "color" of box is tied to system colors, for example, my "current" box is pink, not green).

In the workspace "list", I discovered the "..." next to the workspace when the cursor hovers over it which allows to open the workspace in a tab rather than a new window. That's what I was missing. I'd select a closed workspace and it would open in a new window rather than a new tab. I wonder if there's a way to change the default setting so it opens in a new tab by default rather than a new window by default?

There's a lot of "..." in QSpace - it's easy to get lost and forget how to access things.

I appreciate your efforts to help! How long have you been using QSpace?

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
In the workspace "list", I discovered the "..." next to the workspace when the cursor hovers over it which allows to open the workspace in a tab rather than a new window. That's what I was missing. I'd select a closed workspace and it would open in a new window rather than a new tab. I wonder if there's a way to change the default setting so it opens in a new tab by default rather than a new window by default?

Oh, I now realize you are using the workspace list in the toolbar, I always used the sidebar. It seems the behavior is slightly different there.
Also I just found a setting in Behavior, in the 2nd section, "Open Workspace in:" with the options "new window" "current window" and "tab", that option seems to be used when using the workspace list in the toolbar. That should be the option you are searching.

I appreciate your efforts to help! How long have you been using QSpace?

I bought it in May this year.

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
has anyone found a way to save several tabs on one side of the window and several tabs on the other side an save that as workspace. This is how PF and Fl handle that

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Also I just found a setting in Behavior, in the 2nd section, "Open Workspace in:" with the options "new window" "current window" and "tab", that option seems to be used when using the workspace list in the toolbar. That should be the option you are searching.
Exactly what I was looking for - thank you for finding that! And I hadn't noticed those were on the sidebar, so thanks for pointing that out (I have a lot of favorites and external drives, so it was pushed way down).

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
has anyone found a way to save several tabs on one side of the window and several tabs on the other side an save that as workspace. This is how PF and Fl handle that

QSpace puts workspaces inside tabs, rather than tabs inside workspaces. So, in QSpace, each tab will have 1, 2, 3, or 4 panes. In ForkLift, each of the 1 or 2 panes will have tabs. I hope that makes sense. I've not seen any way to change that behavior.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
For reference:

I queried the developer concerning the QSpace Pro privacy issues mentioned in this thread and got the following reply.

In QSpace, each account can be used on up to two devices at the same time, and if you log in to the third new device, the account on the old device will be automatically logged out. QSpace will periodically check the device usage ( device IDs ) of the current account ( user ID ) with the server to execute this policy.

QSpace users may be in various places around the world. When users upgrade, QSpace's CDN will provide the nearest download node based on the user's IP.

PS:

User ID: In the QSpace AppStore version, it is a unique user ID generated based on the user's AppStore order. In QSpace Pro, it is the ID of the account created when the user logs in via email. Does not include user’s Apple ID.

Device ID: A unique identifier of the user device generated based on the user device information.

All information collected by QSpace will not be shared with any third party and will only be used for QSpace related functions.

If you have any other questions, please let me know!
After reading that I'm more than happy to continue using it :)

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
For reference:

I queried the developer concerning the QSpace Pro privacy issues mentioned in this thread and got the following reply.

After reading that I'm more than happy to continue using it :)

Thanks for checking up on that. I had figured that the data collection related to licensing; nice to have confirmation.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
How do you easily go about batch renaming files? With Finder and Forklift, it is very easy to right click, rename files, find X and replace Y or nothing. QSpace doesn't appear to be that simple or intuitive and their website doesn't explain it.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
I've not used it, but one of the 'upgrade' modules is batch rename.
Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 18.11.28.jpg

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
How do you easily go about batch renaming files? With Finder and Forklift, it is very easy to right click, rename files, find X and replace Y or nothing. QSpace doesn't appear to be that simple or intuitive and their website doesn't explain it.

I do have the upgrade modules that @dbrewood mentioned. I just select a number of files. Then my context menu has the choice "Rename n files". The little dialog that pops up has an "advanced" button and the gives a ton of options and power. Here's a screenshot.

backRename.jpg

donblanco

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2019
Zacatecas, MX
I just used the batch rename function after running multiple concurrent renames in Finder and getting tired of all the manual typing and clicking :(

In QSpace you can add multiple rename steps and save it as a preset. Then you just 'load preset' and replace (for instance) all the problematic characters that many programs change to URL code. I use it to remove spaces and + signs, commas, apostrophes, parentheses, hashtags, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.