Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jschone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Hi,

Here is the problem:
I received my Powermac Quad today. The shop already installed 4 gb extra memory. (4x 1gb DDR2 Kingston).

When I started the computer for the first time, it went through al the setup screen, but the system "hang" on the last screen where I entered my personal information. After restarting the system, OSX came up.

I checked the system info and saw that the system only had 4 gb installed. The first slot of up and down where both empty. I checked inside, and saw that there ARE indeed the standard memory sims in there. ( 2 x 512 mb). They are not recognized by the system though.

There are 3 sims in the upper slots and 3 sims down, like it it is supposed to be ?!
Does anyone know what is going on here?

Kind Regards, Jochem

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Check to make sure they are fully seated. Usually done by removing and reinstalling the DIMM. If they are and you still see the problem, might be a bad chip or bad mem slot.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
That's strange. You seem to be abiding the dual channel rules. I suppose just try experimenting removing first the Kingston RAM and leaving the Apple/Samsung, and then switching the process and seeing how that turns out.

jschone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Quad memory problem

Hi,

I did that. Also when I put only the kingston RAM, the first two slots are also not recognized.:confused:

Jochem

Ps. only the apple/samsung installed, the system does not start

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
This would sound very much like a logic board problem, then, if you have two memory sockets that do not register regardless what RAM is installed in them.
AppleCare time...

Also sloppy on the shop's part not to check the total memory before shipping.
I would push them for a DOA replacement, not a warranty. Possibly it is their fault as well... you don't want to get into a p!$$!#& match with Apple about who did what to the machine. If you bought the G5 from the same shop who installed the RAM, tell them you want a new machine because this one's DOA.

jschone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Quad Memory Problem

Hi,

I went back to the shop with the Quad. Logic board (slot 0) was broke. They replaced the computer immediately. Good service.

Now I have a good working Quad. Great machine so far.

Thank you, CanadaRAM, for the suggestions.

Jochem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.