Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
4 G5's in a case would make a good frying pan (with the 130nm chips of course). Are the new G5 xServes as loud as the G4's? The new ones do use the 90nm chips that produce less heat. Maybe if the new chips are that much cooler, than maybe.

Anyone that needs that much power would probably just use a workgroup cluster.

But I did go to an oracle event where a apple rep attended and he did mention that they were looking into a 3U xserve, same size as the xRaid. I thought that could of been for the 2 G5 130nm xserve. So maybe the 3U enclosure is for a quad cpu server ?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Just think of the Protein Folding that could be accomplished with a G5 Quad. There wouldn't be a need for many of those to really increase the teams production.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
aswitcher said:
I saw the minimum specs, 933Mhz, 6 gig HD, 64Vid AGP ram, 256RAM, DVD, OSX 10.2.8...

Does anyone know what the recommended is for decent performance?

Ask Don't Hurt Me. I assume he'd say a PC. :)

I'll let you know shortly how it runs on a dual-2/9600. Not the 9800, but hopefully enough.

And, no, I'm not really an FPS player. But I'm just curious about how well it will run. I hear it should be available is stores Saturday. Does this sound right?

I'm more interested in seeing this one , though.

bryantm3

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2003
Macrumors said:
MacDailyNews claims that Apple will bring us Quad-processor PowerMacs.

MacDailyNews, however, has not been a reliable source of information, previously claiming that iTunes would introduce higher bit-rate AACs for sale back in October 2003.
quad powermacs?
y'all should take this off of here. that's a joke.

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
Engagebot said:
putting more processors in your machine is not like attaching more rockets to the space shuttle.
Yea, when you attach more rockets to the the space shuttle, you increase the weight of the shuttle, thereby decreasing the utility of the original rockets and the new ones.. not only that, but you need to add extra fuel stores and support equip (tanks, lines, pumps, insulation, structural re-inforcement..) to feed those extra rockets.. that further decreases the utility of the original and additional rockets. Depending on the efficiency and force of the extra rockets.. adding extra rockets so the space shuttle could ensure that it's unable to reach orbit... at the very least, you'd have a much bigger shuttle that didn't really go much faster.
Just to put this into perspective.. I've heard that there is enough energy in a gallon of gas to put that gallon into orbit. Have you ever seen a rocket with 1 gallon of pump gas that could make orbit? The hardware required hold and burn that gas (at a fraction of its potential energy) would weigh so much that it probably wouldn't get off the ground.

Putting more processors in an already dual G5 would increase overhead and tax chipset bandwidth.. but for a move from dual to quad with the G5's architecture, it wouldn't be too though to add the extra CPUs without otherwise causeing a significant decrease in the system efficiency (maybe a few percent).

:)
putting extra cpus in is a much better idea than adding rockets to the Space Shuttle.

wizart

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2003
Denmark
Quad G5

Mac developer-sources I know, confirm that there might be a Quad 3 Ghz available this year, and that´s why Apple have no rush on upgrading now becourse:"We will get more than expected..."....... :rolleyes:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
wizart said:
Mac developer-sources I know, confirm that there might be a Quad 3 Ghz available this year, and that´s why Apple have no rush on upgrading now becourse:"We will get more than expected..."....... :rolleyes:

That certainly would be more than anyone is expecting. In reality very few would actually need a Quad. All I want is a Rev. B dual 3 Ghz G5 announced at WWDC.

wizart

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2003
Denmark
wdlove said:
That certainly would be more than anyone is expecting. In reality very few would actually need a Quad. All I want is a Rev. B dual 3 Ghz G5 announced at WWDC.

I know what U mean....A machine that runs smoothly, doesn´t make any high frequens pitched tone, and no fans taking off.....That will be a start..!

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
Urdam said:
This rumor has come and gone, a quad Mac would burn up..
A quad mac would NOT burn up.. Don't be a fool. You can put 20 G5s [970s] in one case if you cooled it enough, and the current case has tons of cooling potential.
We've gone over this.. and over this, and over this.. the 970fx processors generate 1/2 the heat of the previous generation....
The problem is, IBM is still having problems with the process so volumes are low.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Still Amazed

I'm stilll amazed that people think that there is no need for quad processor machine or that they can not be made in an economical manner. Economics go out the window once dual core processors arrive, so it becomes feasable for even the desktop. Even without the arrival of Dual core, quad procesor based machines can justify their existance.

As to desktop usage the response being seen in this thread of recent are similar to the responses seen when duals first came out for the desktop - who needs that sort of power. Well it is prety clear just aobut everyone buying a PowerMac has made that decision and went with the dual processor machine. I believe the result will be much the same when quad processors come out, at some point in time Apple will have a hard time moving the duals.

Thanks
Dave

paulsecic

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
San Lorenzo, CA
Ge4-ce said:
Well...

If it is true.. THIS ROCKS!

But probably not.. And if so.. when and what will they cost?

same old questions.. same old story..
I am a disabled Man and I type with a stick on my head and I have an old Imac keyboard with the on button. Will this first generation keyboard turn on a G5 destop?

jwmci

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2003
G5 memory controller

Check it out at Apple. The G5 includes multiple independent memory controllers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.