Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

famicomaster2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2019
It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I'll try to keep it short - I am looking to purchase a Macintosh Quadra 900 or Quadra 950 - I was awfully close to getting one on eBay earlier, but I wound up getting outbid with 7 seconds to go. Suppose that's the game.

Anyways, next cheapest model available right now guy wants $1000 + shipping! Says he can do $900+shipping but this seems awfully high considering the machine I was bidding on was less than half that price with a video card and a working SCSI CD-ROM drive.
Was that just a one-time super great deal I missed, or is $500 about the going rate for a Quadra 950?

I am interested in finding one of these machines for a project I've got going on - I am willing to spend the money but I don't want to pay double what I have to. Any advice would be appreciated.

That, and if anyone here has one they would be willing to sell me for a reasonable price, I shoot me a message. I would love to work something out.

Thanks in advance.

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
They are, relatively speaking, rare systems these days so it's difficult to provide price guidance. My thought is if you really want one and can afford it then don't discount this one because you previously saw one for half the price. Your only other option is to keep looking in the hopes that you find another one.

famicomaster2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2019
I see. I've made a few posts in other vintage computer forums asking around if other people might have them. If I can avoid paying $1000 for a hobby machine, I'd like to.

Thanks for the help

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
I see. I've made a few posts in other vintage computer forums asking around if other people might have them. If I can avoid paying $1000 for a hobby machine, I'd like to.

Thanks for the help
I understand where you're coming from as I've been there. I'm still trying to locate a generic 80386 system for a reasonable price.

What is it about this system that draws you to it?

famicomaster2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2019
I've got some generic 386 era machines in various states of decay. I could probably piece one together enough to work if you'd like.

The only 68k Macs I have experience with are my Macintosh SE FDHD (original 20M disk, 4M RAM) and my PowerBook 180 (original 80M disk, 4M RAM). While both work, the monochrome gets on my nerves and the difficulty of finding software that will run on them, let alone do anything interesting or useful is already difficult enough before you actually try to get it onto the machine.
The nice thing about a 900/950/95/9150 is that they all include onboard AAUI so I can just hitch them to the network and get my software that way. They also have the option of using a PowerPC upgrade card to make them quicker should I decide the 68040 isn't fast enough (Or already run on a 601, like the 9150).
They also give the option of color. I've got an AppleColor monitor that came with a dead Performa 475 I found locally many years ago, and the monitor does work but I've got nothing to use it with!

Also, to be perfectly honest, I like having expansion options on my machine and I really like the way they look. If I'm going to have a "nice" 68k/early PPC Mac, I can roll everything into one with one of these machines and it will fit in with the rest of the machines on my desk.

Oh, and I hope to track down a NuBus PC Compatibility card so I can play with that a bit.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I'll have to dig out the 950 I stashed in a basement closet years ago and see what shape its in. I think the HD was toast when I retired it.

famicomaster2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2019
I'm alright with a dead disk - I have plenty of old SCSI hard disks if you're willing to part with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.